Moving files between Mac HFS+ and Linux--possible?

Moving files between Mac HFS+ and Linux--possible?

Post by Bob Langdo » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:29:07

OK, I made a stupid mistake, when downloading different distros of Linux to try out on Mac I also downloaded a lot of extra stuff.

Any way to get it into my Linux partitions to install now?
TIA

Moving files between Mac HFS+ and Linux--possible?

Post by bobn » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:20:23

Quote:> OK, I made a stupid mistake, when downloading different distros of

Linux to try out on Mac I also downloaded a lot of extra stuff.

Quote:

> Any way to get it into my Linux partitions to install now?
> TIA

You will have to do this in macos since linuxppc cannot read/mount HFS+
partitions. You could boot into macos and copy the files from the HFS+
disk to the /boot partition. Then reboot into linux then move the files
from /boot to their final desitnation.
--
Bob

Post by Bob Langdo » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:01:14

> > OK, I made a stupid mistake, when downloading different distros of
> Linux to try out on Mac I also downloaded a lot of extra stuff.

> > Any way to get it into my Linux partitions to install now?
> > TIA

> You will have to do this in macos since linuxppc cannot read/mount HFS+
> partitions. You could boot into macos and copy the files from the HFS+
> disk to the /boot partition. Then reboot into linux then move the files
> from /boot to their final desitnation.
> --
> Bob

OK, dumb newbie here.
But I can't see the Linux partitions from the MacOS side...
How do I copy anything to there??

TIA

Post by David Stoltenber » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:20:10

> > OK, I made a stupid mistake, when downloading different distros of
> > Linux to try out on Mac I also downloaded a lot of extra stuff.

> > Any way to get it into my Linux partitions to install now?

Either LinuxDisks from the MacOS side, as mentioned below (MountX is
also a possibility, but I haven't heard of any positive experiences
with it) . . . or hfsplusutils from the Linux side (contrary to the
can't mount/read statement below - no slam, it's a common belief).

In my experience, LinuxDisks is 10x friendlier GUI-wise, and 10x
slower speed-wise (than hfsplusutils).  hfsplusutils is command
line only, and uses a slightly odd "virtual mount" convention and
command syntax, so you want to read the docs before using.

In either case, you probably want to have the latest/greatest Disk
First Aid for your MacOS version handy to run afterward, and to
approach with a "get in, copy stuff, get out ASAP" mindset.

HTH,

D.

Quote:

Post by Bob Langdo » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:17:16

> > > OK, I made a stupid mistake, when downloading different distros of
> > > Linux to try out on Mac I also downloaded a lot of extra stuff.

> > > Any way to get it into my Linux partitions to install now?

> Either LinuxDisks from the MacOS side, as mentioned below (MountX is
> also a possibility, but I haven't heard of any positive experiences
> with it) . . . or hfsplusutils from the Linux side (contrary to the
> can't mount/read statement below - no slam, it's a common belief).

> In my experience, LinuxDisks is 10x friendlier GUI-wise, and 10x
> slower speed-wise (than hfsplusutils).  hfsplusutils is command
> line only, and uses a slightly odd "virtual mount" convention and
> command syntax, so you want to read the docs before using.

Thanks.

Quote:

> In either case, you probably want to have the latest/greatest Disk
> First Aid for your MacOS version handy to run afterward, and to
> approach with a "get in, copy stuff, get out ASAP" mindset.

I have all the latest greatest MacOS rescue stuff, but I'd rather not have to use it.
Can I really scramble my MacOS Volume directory using these utilities?

Moving files between Mac HFS+ and Linux--possible?

Post by bobn » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:22:53

Quote:> But I can't see the Linux partitions from the MacOS side...
> How do I copy anything to there??

OK, a bit more explaining should help. I am assuming that your linuxppc
/boot partition is formatted as HFS. Since this partition is formatted
as HFS, MACOS will see this partition as a valid disk on your desktop
probably shown as a disk named "untitled" when booted into MACOS. I
would expect you will also see your HFS+ partition on the desktop as
well. If both of these conditions are true, then you can drag the files
from the HFS+ disk to the "untitled" disk (i.e. the /boot partition).
Now when you reboot into linux those files will be available on that
linux partition. The one drawback that I can think of now is the size of
the /boot partition is typically small around 25MB which may be a
problem if the sum of your file sizes exceeds that constriant.
--
Bob

Moving files between Mac HFS+ and Linux--possible?

Post by walt moffe » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:12:49

<<snippage re use of hfsplusutils>>

Quote:>> In either case, you probably want to have the latest/greatest Disk
>> First Aid for your MacOS version handy to run afterward, and to
>> approach with a "get in, copy stuff, get out ASAP" mindset.

> I have all the latest greatest MacOS rescue stuff, but I'd rather not have
>to use it.  Can I really scramble my MacOS Volume directory using these
>utilities?

it can get messy if you do a lot of writing and deleting on the HFS+ side or
delete any of the normally hidden MacOS system files.  webgod has good advice
and worth following. copy the files over and then delete from MacOS.

Moving files between Mac HFS+ and Linux--possible?

Post by David Stoltenber » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:48:46

<snippage>

Quote:

> > In either case, you probably want to have the latest/greatest Disk
> > First Aid for your MacOS version handy to run afterward, and to
> > approach with a "get in, copy stuff, get out ASAP" mindset.
> > I have all the latest greatest MacOS rescue stuff, but I'd rather not have to use it.
> > Can I really scramble my MacOS Volume directory using these utilities?

Disclaimer: this is all "in my personal experience", on a Umax S900 (8500/9500 clone),
across (Fast) SCSI drives via what I believe is a souped-up PCI bridge,
between YDL
1.2 on 1 drive and MacOS 9.1 on another.

My 3 main findings are:

1.  hfsutils or mount -t commands:  copies from HFS to ext2, no problems on
either side.
"Pushing" new files, or overwriting existing files, or deleting files on the
Mac side from
Linux side = no visible problems, but unfixable "cosmetic" errors in Disk
Utils 8.x and
early 9.x, and pre-Norton 5 utils (invalid node count, I think - and BTW I got
the same
deal going between BeOS <-> MacOS partitions.)  Prime Directive:  always
"pull" from the
foreign partition to the "native" one, using a native (obviously!) app.  If
you absolutely
have to "push", push from the Mac (HFS) side to whatever (Linux, Be, etc).

2.  Based on the Prime Directive above, for HFS+, use LinuxDisks to "pull"
ext2 -> HFS+,
or hfsplusutils to "pull" HFS+ -> ext2 . . . and if you can't help it for some
reason, only
ever "push" HFS+ -> ext2.   Off the top of my head, I can't even remember if
HFS+ lets
you write ext2 -> HFS+ . . . since the mad notion of doing something along
those lines
would never cross my mind at this point.  Staying inside this limitation, I've
never had
any problems with hfsplusutils.

For 1 and 2:  treat the file exchange like an FTP session: fire up app, get
in, do your
thing, and get out/quit app.

. . . and afterwards, "just to be sure", you probably want to take a few secs
to run
Disk First Aid.  With any luck, it'll be a purely superstitious waster of time.

3.  If you're a whiz with MOL and you're comfortable with network-based
file-sharing, you
can use FTP, HTTP, NFS, ethernet-based appletalk, etc. as you see fit, I
believe.  I
haven't personally been there and done that, so I couldn't say.

Good luck!

D.

Post by Bob Langdo » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:27:54

> [...]

> would never cross my mind at this point.  Staying inside this limitation,
> I've
> never had
> any problems with hfsplusutils.

> For 1 and 2:  treat the file exchange like an FTP session: fire up app, get
> in, do your
> thing, and get out/quit app.

> . . . and afterwards, "just to be sure", you probably want to take a few
> secs
> to run
> Disk First Aid.  With any luck, it'll be a purely superstitious waster of
> time.

> 3.  If you're a whiz with MOL and you're comfortable with network-based
> file-sharing, you
> can use FTP, HTTP, NFS, ethernet-based appletalk, etc. as you see fit, I
> believe.  I
> haven't personally been there and done that, so I couldn't say.

Hmmm... could I FTP to "myself"?
i.e.: from the Linux side to the HFS+ side?
Interesting concept, but nearly as straightford as it sounds, I'll bet.
Thanks.

Post by Bob Langdo » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:28:54

> <<snippage re use of hfsplusutils>>
> >> In either case, you probably want to have the latest/greatest Disk
> >> First Aid for your MacOS version handy to run afterward, and to
> >> approach with a "get in, copy stuff, get out ASAP" mindset.

> > I have all the latest greatest MacOS rescue stuff, but I'd rather not
> > have
> >to use it.  Can I really scramble my MacOS Volume directory using these
> >utilities?

> it can get messy if you do a lot of writing and deleting on the HFS+ side
> or
> delete any of the normally hidden MacOS system files.  webgod has good
> advice
> and worth following. copy the files over and then delete from MacOS.

Really not interested in writing TO the Mac side, only copying files from Mac HFS+ to Linux side.

Post by Michael Schmit » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:41:37

> Hmmm... could I FTP to "myself"?
> i.e.: from the Linux side to the HFS+ side?
> Interesting concept, but nearly as straightford as it sounds, I'll bet.

That's of course possible with MOL. Might requite ethertap (a fake net
interface assigned the IP address used by MOL). NCSA telnet came with
FTP server, I've used that a lot to copy stuff to or from Macs.

        Michael

Moving files between Mac HFS+ and Linux--possible?

Post by Jaso » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:58:40

I have XHFS running on my Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 (It came installed with it.)
Works with HFS+.
I also used the command-line HFS tools, but it is difficult--

Post by Bob Langdo » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 06:56:00

> I have XHFS running on my Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 (It came installed with it.)
> Works with HFS+.

So it's built into the YDL kernal?

Post by Michael Schmit » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 21:12:56

> > I have XHFS running on my Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 (It came installed with it.)
> > Works with HFS+.

> So it's built into the YDL kernal?

No, that'll be a tk wrapper for hfsplusutils.

        Michael