Install MkLinux on IDE?

Post by Matthew Pritzk » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Exactly how hard is it to install MkLinux (or LinuxPPC) on a machine with
only IDE? (PMac G3/233)  I've heard that DR3 will greatly simplify the
process, but then I've also heard that DR3 was "Real Soon Now" for the
last 3 months.  If I did a bare install on a Zip disk, would that make it
easier?

Install MkLinux on IDE?

Post by Jason » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Exactly how hard is it to install MkLinux (or LinuxPPC) on a machine with
>only IDE? (PMac G3/233)  I've heard that DR3 will greatly simplify the
>process, but then I've also heard that DR3 was "Real Soon Now" for the
>last 3 months.  If I did a bare install on a Zip disk, would that make it
>easier?

With Linux-pmac it shouldn't be a big deal, since Linux-pmac can
mount and read HFS partitions and boot off a floppy (thus, you can
put the Mklinux tar file on the HFS partition, boot the Linux floppy,
format the necessary ext2 partitions on your IDE drive, and untar
the Mklinux distribution onto the ext2 partition(s).  That was how
I started with Linux-pmac last summer).  However, AFAIK Linux-pmac
doesn't yet support the Apple G3 machines, so you're probably
stuck with Mklinux.  If Mklinux can mount and read HFS partitions,
you probably can do this, substituting booting from a Zip drive
for booting from a floppy.  A better approach would be to gzip the
Unstuff'd Mklinux distribution with MacGzip and try to fit it on a
Zip cartridge (the distribution was 89 megs Stuff'd, the last time
I checked - I don't know if gzip with its best compression would
yield something any smaller, though) along with a minimal system
(i.e., /bin along with the linux server and friends, assuming tar
and gzip are in /bin) and then boot that (you'd also need mke2fs,
and probably e2fsck as well on the Zip disk).  Obviously you'd
want to make your UNIX partitions with a Mac-side disk formatter,
restore the Mac-side stuff, and then boot the Zip drive, run mke2fs
on the appropriate IDE partitions (pdisk would be handy to identify
the proper partitions), mount the ext2 partitions, and (I'm assuming
one big partition for your file system; if you want more than one,
you'll have to make some directories and mount the other partitions
onto them as well) then

tar xfz mklinuxfs.tar.gz -C /<mountpoint>  where <mountpoint>
is the directory where you have mounted the IDE ext2 root partition.

This _should_ work.  Needless to say, you'll need to adjust your
/etc/fstab for the IDE disk to mount as the root partition, so you
might want to have an editor handy on your minimal Linux Zip disk
too, although you could just use echo with a redirect or cat >
/etc/fstab to set that up.

Good luck.

1. G3 & ide & MkLinux

Just wanting to make absolutely sure:
We've got G3's that we bought at the beginning of the summer that we
planned to put MkLinux on.  They came with a 4 gig ide drive, ide cdrom
and ide zip drive.  I have struggled with it for quite some time now, but
I can't make it see the bootstrap.conf to run the installer.  I've
followed David Gatwood's suggestions on how to make it better, but they
haven't worked.  I've also talked to him and he says he doesn't know when
mklinux will support them.  Before we buy scsi drives, I want to make sure
we have to.  Does anyone know any secrets to making these things work?!
David also suggested linuxppc, but we are in a lab sitution and an
unintuitive way to boot between os's isn't acceptable.  I don't know much
about linuxppc?  Can we make a pretty way to boot between os's in linuxppc
and use that?  Thanks for any help!
        bjh

2. Corel Linux Installation

3. Mklinux on an IDE drive

4. How do I get rid of LILO ? *Gone*

5. Can't install OS5 from IDE CD onto IDE drive

6. .forward

7. G3/IDE + LinuxPMac/MkLinux

8. Can't install mouse on Debian

9. How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

10. Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

11. mklinux on IDE drives

12. Making mklinux cd (was mac 6100/66 and mklinux)

13. Installation; problem at MKlinux /MacOS splash screen, after I choose Mklinux system hangs.