Strange PPP behaviour again.

Post by Roberto Maria Avanzi Mocenig » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

HI all.

I am experiencing a very strange PPP behaviour
with the Powerbook G3 series
of my girlfriend (japanese keyboard...).

We installed linuxPPC 5.0, no problems.
Got accellerated X as promised in the manual. Fine.

We then configured PPP using netcfg as root following
the instructions in the manual.  No problem at the
beginning, it worked just fine... until it
stopped working.  No connection.  Moreover,
we did never hear sounds from the machine.

We booted several times, and if BootX was called
from MacOS we got the dialing noises sound but
no PPP connection was successfully established.
It would dial the ISP many times with no
success (everything seemed fine, phone #,
user and password..)

netcfg always gave the ppp0 interface as deactivated.

Of course rebooting into the mac side showed
no problem at all, we got to the internet
with no problem.

THe next day my girlfriend called me saying
that she simply  started netscape under linux
and it worked.  But after a reboot it stopped
working again, in the same way.

I am clearly clueless.

Has anybody experienced this behaviour and
fixed it ?

ROberto
--
/_/   Roberto Maria Avanzi Mocenigo
_/  "All musics are created equal"  Peter Schickele

Strange PPP behaviour again.

Post by u.. » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> HI all.

> I am experiencing a very strange PPP behaviour
> with the Powerbook G3 series
> of my girlfriend (japanese keyboard...).

> We installed linuxPPC 5.0, no problems.
> Got accellerated X as promised in the manual. Fine.

> We then configured PPP using netcfg as root following
> the instructions in the manual.  No problem at the
> beginning, it worked just fine... until it
> stopped working.  No connection.  Moreover,
> we did never hear sounds from the machine.

> We booted several times, and if BootX was called
> from MacOS we got the dialing noises sound but
> no PPP connection was successfully established.
> It would dial the ISP many times with no
> success (everything seemed fine, phone #,
> user and password..)

> netcfg always gave the ppp0 interface as deactivated.

> Of course rebooting into the mac side showed
> no problem at all, we got to the internet
> with no problem.

> THe next day my girlfriend called me saying
> that she simply  started netscape under linux
> and it worked.  But after a reboot it stopped
> working again, in the same way.

> I am clearly clueless.

> Has anybody experienced this behaviour and
> fixed it ?

and the same with /sbin/ifup ppp0?
--
cs

NOTE: remove the obvious from my address to respond via email.

1. PPP and chat, strange behaviour

Hello netters,

I have a strange problem with pppd and chat. For some reason chat
is not able to get hold of the modem. A typical log message, in
/var/adm/syslog is :

Nov 21 21:48:19 valhalla pppd[2074]: Connect script failed
Nov 21 21:48:19 valhalla chat[2075]: warning: read() on stdin returned 0
Nov 21 21:48:19 valhalla chat[2075]: Can't restore terminal parameters:
I/O error

and in /var/adm/messages :

Nov 21 21:47:49 valhalla chat[2075]: send (ATZ^M)
Nov 21 21:47:49 valhalla chat[2075]: expect (OK)
Nov 21 21:48:19 valhalla pppd[2074]: Exit.

Running my ppp startup script gives the messages above. But strangely
enough running cu first makes things work !

Also cu usually gives an I/O error the first time I start it.

So I now give the following command :

cu -l cua1 && sh /etc/ppp.chat

and type atz while in cu. The ATZ command is also in the connmect
string in chat.

I have Slackware 2.2.0 (I think) installed, with Linux 1.3.39 and
ppp-2.2.0c. I use getty_ps for my getty on cua1/ttyS1.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ib

Aarhuus Stiftsbogtrykkerie
Soren Nymarks Vej 1                      Tel.:   (+45) 8939 8939
DK-8270 Hojbjerg                         Fax:    (+45) 8939 8940

Earth - mostly harmless.

2. curses.h problem

3. Help!! Strange behaviour using ppp

4. Optimization opportunities unexploited: examples sought

5. Strange PPP behavior

6. ftp server setup

7. Strange behaviour of PPP connection

8. Is slackware 3.0.0 entirely elf?

9. Strange PPP Behavior

10. Solaris 2.4 x86 ppp: strange behaviour

11. PPP Strange behavior under 1.3.37

12. Strange PPP behavior

13. strange behavior with ppp on 2.0* kernels ...