Mandrake PPC?!

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Tue, 29 May 2001 06:33:56

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-05-27-010-20-NW-MD

        MandrakeSoft developers Stew Benedict and David Baudens have
        been submitting hundreds of packages built for the PPC
        platform in preparation of an upcoming beta. If you have a
        PowerMac (iMac, iBook...) or IBM PPC box, keep an eye on the
        Mandrake website or upcoming issues of this newsletter for
        announcements regarding the release of the first L-M 8.0 PPC
        Beta.

        To get involved with the development process as a beta tester,
        please subscribe to the PPC port mailing list. Send an email

        the body of your message.

No affiliation, just thought it was worth noting.

James
isn't looking good, either.

Mandrake PPC?!

Post by Rick » Tue, 29 May 2001 09:36:35

Quote:

> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-05-27-010-20-NW-MD

> James

I agree. With Mandrake entering the fray, PPC Linux is going to get
interesting, especially if the coordinate releases with the Intel
verison.

--
Rick

Mandrake PPC?!

Post by Jeramy B Smit » Tue, 29 May 2001 17:02:55

When I saw the notice that the ppc stuff was in Cooker, I went and had a
look. Me and the other residents of an irc channel had a hearty laugh when
we saw egcs rpms. Egcs has no place in any ppc distro. I can't help but
believe this stuff was put together by people who do not know ppc. Egcs was
fine its day, but the move to gcc 2.95.x was what put us in prime time.
There is _no_ reason to include egcs 1.x.x with any distro. It will serve to
confuse people only. Egcs is not needed for backwards compatibilty or for
compiling kernels. I am sure that if the mandrake people had  sent an email
to the person well known as the current ppc/linux gcc master, he would have
informed them as such. Botching the toolchain does not instill great
confidence in me (yes, I know they use gcc 2.95.x by default).

I wonder if they even have the *oline patch? ;)

-jeramy b smith

Mandrake PPC?!

Post by Rick » Wed, 30 May 2001 00:50:10

> >|  When I saw the notice that the ppc stuff was in Cooker, I went and had a
> >|  look. Me and the other residents of an irc channel had a hearty laugh when
> >|  we saw egcs rpms. Egcs has no place in any ppc distro. I can't help but
> >|  believe this stuff was put together by people who do not know ppc. Egcs was
> >|  fine its day, but the move to gcc 2.95.x was what put us in prime time.
> >|  There is _no_ reason to include egcs 1.x.x with any distro. It will serve to
> >|  confuse people only. Egcs is not needed for backwards compatibilty or for
> >|  compiling kernels. I am sure that if the mandrake people had  sent an email
> >|  to the person well known as the current ppc/linux gcc master, he would have
> >|  informed them as such. Botching the toolchain does not instill great
> >|  confidence in me (yes, I know they use gcc 2.95.x by default).
> >|
> >|  I wonder if they even have the *oline patch? ;)

> LOL, I don't know why some Mac heads are jumping up and down due to the
> fact Mandrake is releasing a ppc distro. They don't have that great a
> reputation on the x86, amd side of things. It's a clueless distro as far
> as I'm concerned. I also don't think there is room on the ppc side for
> another distro. How are the present distros like YellowDog and SuSE
> supposed to make $$ off of a very small market segment to begin with if
> the field of distros grows for the ppc? The problem exists on the
> pc side - too many distros.

I run Mandrake on my compaq laptop. I havent found any reason to look
into other distros.

Quote:> I hope Mac users running Linux, support the companies like YellowDog
> etc., who supported Mac when the others weren't.

You seem to have forgotted LinuxPPC. Werent they the first PPC distro.
And, yes, I do order from the vendor, as opposed to DLing ISO images.

Quote:> Just my 2 CDN cents, I'm not affilated in any way with YellowDog or any
> ppc Linux distro. I run on intel and no it's definitely not Mandrake.
> <g>

If you dont run Mandrake, how can you diss it in the first person?

Quote:

--
Rick

Mandrake PPC?!

Post by Jeramy B Smit » Wed, 30 May 2001 15:34:11

Quote:> If you dont run Mandrake, how can you diss it in the first person?

I don't run Mandrake /PPC but I dissed it :). Actually, my first Intel Linux
distro since using slackware eons ago was Mandrake 6.0 . Before that, I had
last used Slackware in 1995 on Intel.
Mandrake 6.0 was basically Redhat 6.0 with some fixups and recompiled with
PGCC for better performance. Now PGCC was just a hack and many technical
purists dissed Mandrake for using it. However, I found mandrake speedy on
that P75 laptop with 40 MB ram I was using.

I have tested some mandrake releases since then and found their installer to
be one of the best. My big problem is that they use software that is too new
and untested nowadays. Mandrake is more bleeding edge than rawhide :),

Of course, I don't run Mandrake 8 but by looking at the package list and
opening up some src.rpms I can make some other valid technical assumptions
about it.

Distros are like bags of tea, everyone has their favourite. What works great
for one guy might be dog mounds for someone else. What one guy sees as
working fine, another may hate because of the hacks underneath the hood.

-jeramy

Mandrake PPC?!

Post by Steve Sivie » Wed, 30 May 2001 23:14:40

> I have tested some mandrake releases since then and found their installer
> be one of the best. My big problem is that they use software that is too
> new
> and untested nowadays. Mandrake is more bleeding edge than rawhide :),

I've got to agree here. I was really tempted to try out Mandrake 8 when
it came out (it's always fun to try out new things), but I was really
disappointed to find out that it was following RedHat's lead and using
an experimental version of gcc. I like being at the forefront of
technology, but I don't want to be on the bleeding edge. I hope SuSE
doesn't follow down that path as well.

Steve

Mandrake PPC?!

Post by del_be » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:10:40

>> LOL, I don't know why some Mac heads are jumping up and down due to the
>> fact Mandrake is releasing a ppc distro. They don't have that great a
>> reputation on the x86, amd side of things. It's a clueless distro as far
>> as I'm concerned. I also don't think there is room on the ppc side for
>> another distro. How are the present distros like YellowDog and SuSE
>> supposed to make $$ off of a very small market segment to begin with if
>> the field of distros grows for the ppc? The problem exists on the
>> pc side - too many distros.

> I run Mandrake on my compaq laptop. I havent found any reason to look
> into other distros.

Well I like to try others b4 I make my mind up about _anything_.

Quote:>> I hope Mac users running Linux, support the companies like YellowDog
>> etc., who supported Mac when the others weren't.

> You seem to have forgotted LinuxPPC. Werent they the first PPC distro.
> And, yes, I do order from the vendor, as opposed to DLing ISO images.

Nope didn't forget them, I thought it was so obvious that the users here
didn't need to be reminded. <g>

Quote:>> Just my 2 CDN cents, I'm not affilated in any way with YellowDog or any
>> ppc Linux distro. I run on intel and no it's definitely not Mandrake.
>> <g>

> If you dont run Mandrake, how can you diss it in the first person?

Because I don't run it _now_ doesn't mean I've never...

Mandrake tries to be so `cutting edge' that often it's quite unstable.

I've run all the major intel distros at one time or other. I settled on
not using any. I `rolled my own' using the `linux from scratch' docs.

--
Steve - ICQ 35454764