I'm new to linux too, but I installed successfully JDK 1.1.6 .
You must untar the file under linux, and you mustn't unzip che
After that you need to export the path to the bin directory: with this
sort of command:
(You find the correct one in the read me file)
Unfortunately I am not able to have it exported by default, so every
time I boot, i need to enter that command. Could somebody please tell me
how I can solve this?
You downloaded JDK 1.1.7, right?
Let me know
1. Announcing JDK 1.2.2 pre and JDK 1.1.8 for PPC
Your Java Blackdown Porting Team for PPC is pleased to announce:
for Linux on PPC glibc 2.1 based systems (other archs will come soon)
- Sun's Java Development Kit 1.2.2 (Java 2) "pre-release"
- Sun's Java Development Kit 1.1.8 Version 2 (final)
Note: The JDK 1.2.2 is "pre-release" because I have not yet
proven to Sun's satisfaction that it successfully passes all
of the JCK tests (it has passed all of the JCK tests I have
tried to date and should be a very stable port).
**** IMPORTANT / READ THIS *****
Due to recently found bugs in glibc 2.1.2 and in kernel 2.2.13 the following
glibc and kernel (or later versions) are required for native threads to
- glibc 2.1.3 pre-release or later
- kernel 2.2.14-pre6 kernel from Paul's linuxcare.com.au site
Both are also available from this site.
If you do *not* want to upgrade at this time, please follow the
instructions given in the README.linuxppc release notes for info
on changing the default threads type to green_threads or the jdk
will not function properly.
- complete rewrite of native_threads using the latest linuxthreads
to create a much improved stable native_threads port.
- native threads are now the default for both jdk 1.1.8 and jdk 1.2.2
- fixed the java version release string to say 1.1.8 or 1.2.2
- fixed problems with Runtime.exec
- fixed problems with thread interrupts, condvar waiting
- fixed problems with socket interrupts, socket closing, etc
- fixed some awt problems under some window managers
(although some still exist)
- fixed problems with escape key in textfields
- plus numerous problem fixes direct from Sun in Swing 1.1.1
- some bug fixes backported from Sun's 1.3
This will be the *final* releases for jdk 1.1 and jdk 1.2 on
PPC Linux unless serious problems are found.
All development work will be moved to jdk 1.3 with HotSpot.
Where to Get It
Thanks to both YellowDog Linux and LinuxPPC there are now up-to-date
mirrors for you to download from:
Please check out one of the following sites:
http://khendricks.ivey.uwo.ca/linuxppc/jdk/ (the home website)
http://www.linuxppc.org/java/ (mirror of the home website)
Your Blackdown Java Linux Porting Team
p.s. Happy Thanksgiving to the US (we had ours over a month ago!)
4. !!EMERGENCY!! Linux won't boot!
5. Where is JDK for PPC Linux?
6. Routing Problems with SunISDN: Repost with better subject
7. interesting linux-ppc jdk bug
9. Upgraded port: Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 for Linux (java/linux-jdk)
10. JDK 1.3.0 Beta B2, JDK 1.2.2 FCS and JDK 1.1.8 V3 for PPC Linux
11. Setting env variables for Sun JDK and IBM JDK on a same Linux Server
12. Native JDK or Linux JDK 1.4 in Jail?
13. Linux JDK on FreeBSD (was Re: Alpha JDK 1.2.2 JPDA extension