LinuxPPC vs. LinuxPPC Lite

Post by Fred Hohle » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

My apologies for this question, as it may have already been answered
somewhere in this group, but I couldn't find any old posts of the sort
(do we have a faq somewhere around here?).

I'm a recovering MkLinux user... when I first installed another OS to
my mac, LinuxPPC still lacked BootX and seemed much less attractive.
Unfortunetely, my partition got corrupted somehow a long time ago, and
I never bothered to reinstall anything. This time around, I looked into
LinuxPPC again, only to find that there is now a "lite" version as
well.

Basically, I just need to know what the differences are. The pages on
the web site list the features of LPPC-Lite, but don't mention anything
about what it does _not_ have. If possible, I'd like to avoid that
extra 500MBs of download time or $40 for a CD.

Thanks in advance.
(to reply via email, remove "nospam" from the address)

LinuxPPC vs. LinuxPPC Lite

Post by David Augsburg » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I'm a recovering MkLinux user... when I first installed another OS to
>my mac, LinuxPPC still lacked BootX and seemed much less attractive.
>Unfortunetely, my partition got corrupted somehow a long time ago, and
>I never bothered to reinstall anything.
>Basically, I just need to know what the differences are. The pages on
>the web site list the features of LPPC-Lite, but don't mention anything
>about what it does _not_ have. If possible, I'd like to avoid that
>extra 500MBs of download time or $40 for a CD.

One solution would be to install MkLinux DR3 again (it uses the same
binaries as LinuxPPC) and change kernels.   Use BootX and a new LinuxPPC
kernel on the Mac side and you'll have LinuxPPC 4.0.  You'll probably want
to add "pmac-utilities," though.

This is the route I took.

Or you could order LinuxPPC 5.0, which would be worth the $38.

Cheers,  David

______    ______________ c me 4 movies _________________
            \   DAVID AUGSBURGER                        edit e-mail address
  OO.
  L_K         <http://www.cinema-sites.com>

1. LinuxPPC-lite color-depth 9500/200

Just dl'ed LinuxPPC-lite and installed it on a PowerMac 9500/200.
Everything worked perfectly and the system booted into KDE. But it
seems as if I only have 4 colors on the screen. Wich kernel arguments
can I pass to set the color-depth? Any other way of solving this?

I am using BootX and its great - no more fiddling with OF...

TIA,
Henrik.

2. remote controll programs

3. Sequencer Ram Parity Error -- LinuxPPC Lite

4. CBQ Architecure

5. Linuxppc-lite and MacOS HD

6. smtpd/smtpfwdd - chroot error

7. linuxppc lite on my zip dirve

8. NCSA on linux-1.2.13/ELF: SIGSEGV, 500 Server Error

9. Need help setting up LinuxPPC Lite!

10. components file in linuxppc-lite

11. 9600 only in LinuxPPC-Lite/kPPP

12. LinuxPPC lite on Disk?

13. SANE vs Umax Astra 1220S vs LinuxPPC 1999