Stable 2.4 kernel source recommendation

Post by David R » Sat, 05 May 2001 14:04:02

Can anybody recommend a stable branch for PPC 2.4.x kernel source?

In the last week I have downloaded:

kernel.org 2.4.3 (with and without the 2.4.4pre6 patch)
rsync linux-ppc-benh
rsync linux-2.4-bk
rsync linux-2.4-paulus

Not one of them work on my system. The bk source is the only one that will
compile, but feeezes on boot.

What is even more frusatrating is that I have only a 28.8 connection! (I
refuse to buy that *other* type of computer just to get satellite Internet
service!) Since I'm spending literally days downloading kernel source, it
make it all the more frustrating to find it won't compile. Hence my query
to the knowledgable masses of this group.

I have a copy of linux-pmac-dev from around January which was 2.4.0 at the
time, and that is the only 2.4.x version I have that compiles on my system
with no errors (even though IRDA is broken).

I'm not trying to rag on the developers -- they are all doing great work
and the development source trees aren't guaranteed to work at all times.
These are just the only sources that I know of.

When will linux-pmac-stable be moved from 2.2.x to 2.4.x?

-Dave

Stable 2.4 kernel source recommendation

Post by Mick » Sun, 06 May 2001 22:08:21

Hi!

> Can anybody recommend a stable branch for PPC 2.4.x kernel source?

> In the last week I have downloaded:

> kernel.org 2.4.3 (with and without the 2.4.4pre6 patch)
> rsync linux-ppc-benh
> rsync linux-2.4-bk
> rsync linux-2.4-paulus

> Not one of them work on my system. The bk source is the only one that will
> compile, but feeezes on boot.

> What is even more frusatrating is that I have only a 28.8 connection! (I
> refuse to buy that *other* type of computer just to get satellite Internet
> service!) Since I'm spending literally days downloading kernel source, it
> make it all the more frustrating to find it won't compile. Hence my query
> to the knowledgable masses of this group.

> I have a copy of linux-pmac-dev from around January which was 2.4.0 at the
> time, and that is the only 2.4.x version I have that compiles on my system
> with no errors (even though IRDA is broken).

> I'm not trying to rag on the developers -- they are all doing great work
> and the development source trees aren't guaranteed to work at all times.
> These are just the only sources that I know of.

> When will linux-pmac-stable be moved from 2.2.x to 2.4.x?

> -Dave

I was pretty fed up with all the kernel mess I found. Unstable updates/patches
kept pouring in. The solution I found about a month ago was
http://www.bitkeeper.com/ They actually host the LinuxPPC kernel tree. 2.4 can
be found at http://www.bitmover.com:8888//home/ppc/linuxppc_2_4

So, what I did was the following:
* Created a local copy of the latest and greatest stuff from 2.4 with bitkeeper.
(large!)
* Created a trimmed copy of the local 2.4 up to changeset 1.99, which was the
last of the 2.4.3 changes. (1.100 introduced 2.4.4-prewhateverdidnotcompile)
* Used bk -r get -q to get a compileable 2.4.3 tree.

I can get quick updates to the 2.4 tree to play with, and I can use the 2.4.3
tree to get something the works.

Hope this helps,
/Micke

Post by Michael Schmit » Mon, 07 May 2001 21:08:23

> Can anybody recommend a stable branch for PPC 2.4.x kernel source?

AFAIK 2.4.x cannot be considered stable yet, at least for PPC.
Personally I would expect BenH's branch to work best for PowerMac type
machines. You say it doesn't, so use 2.2 if you cannot debug 2.4.
Personally I would rather spend time fixing compile errors (by browsing
the linuxppc-dev archives for instance) than chasing runtime hangs. I
have no time for either so I try to be patient and stick to 2.2.

Quote:> When will linux-pmac-stable be moved from 2.2.x to 2.4.x?

When it's ready. For the mainstream kernel (Intel arch) that's a few
releases into 2.5. PPC may lag a bit. I'm willing to believe 2.4 is
stable when all major distributions have switched to 2.4, including
Debian (now that's a bold call to make).
Let's face it: Linus eventually decided to call it 2.4 but that did not
mean it's fit for the desktop user. It was enough to confuse the trade
press :-)

        Michael

Stable 2.4 kernel source recommendation

Post by Jeramy B Smit » Tue, 08 May 2001 08:33:50

Quote:> Can anybody recommend a stable branch for PPC 2.4.x kernel source?

> In the last week I have downloaded:

> kernel.org 2.4.3 (with and without the 2.4.4pre6 patch)
> rsync linux-ppc-benh
> rsync linux-2.4-bk
> rsync linux-2.4-paulus

> Not one of them work on my system. The bk source is the only one that will
> compile, but feeezes on boot.

Ben does not always leave a building source tree when he goes to bed. :)

Seriously though, I got his rsync yesterday, ran make oldconfig, made dep,
turned off scsi/wireless/devfs and a few other options I do not use. Built
and works fine.

-jeramy b smith

Post by Michael Schmit » Sat, 12 May 2001 02:48:31

> > In the last week I have downloaded:

> > kernel.org 2.4.3 (with and without the 2.4.4pre6 patch)
> > rsync linux-ppc-benh
> > rsync linux-2.4-bk
> > rsync linux-2.4-paulus

> > Not one of them work on my system. The bk source is the only one that will
> > compile, but feeezes on boot.

> Ben does not always leave a building source tree when he goes to bed. :)

He does go to bed?? :-)

Quote:> Seriously though, I got his rsync yesterday, ran make oldconfig, made dep,
> turned off scsi/wireless/devfs and a few other options I do not use. Built
> and works fine.

Using the instructions from penguinppc.org (which might need updating to
refer to Ben's tree instead of Paul's?) I build 2.4.4-pre7 with a tiny
patch (include generic rwsem helper functions; just hack the
lib/Makefile) I got a running kernel as well. The result is not too
useful networking wise - I get ping packet loss rates around 20% on a
LAN. So it compiles, runs but needs some work yet. Trying linux-ppc-benh
next :-)

        Michael

1. kgdb (kernel source level debugger) for 2.4 kernels

Hi,

kgdb, kernel source level debugger for x86 linux is available now.
Please visit http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/ for downloading.

http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/linux-2.4.2-kgdb.patch is the debugger
patch for 2.4.2 linux kernel.

This version of kgdb has much better support for threads and nmi
watchdog.

Correct register contents for all threads can be seen now.
nmi watchdog is also handled correctly without hangs.
Unlike previous version, status of threads running on other cpus
is reported correctly in case of nmi watchdog occurrance.

Thanks to Dave Grothe for helping me in improving nmi watchdog support.

Regards.
Amit S. Kale

Linux kernel source level debugger http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/
-

2. KDE 2.1 on Tru64: Fix for libz.so problem after login.

3. Which is currently the most stable 2.4 kernel?

4. many monitors in linux

5. Any stable 2.4 kernel?

6. Flushing out old dhcp addresses

7. "Stable" 2.4.X Linux Kernels

8. Most stable 2.4 kernel

9. Recommendation for stable kernel...

10. Irritating kernel 2.4 source rpm compile error

11. 2.4 mkdep and symlinked kernel source

12. Kernel 2.4: /usr/include/asm Linux scsi are't links to source-tree anymore?