Trouble with passwd

Post by Nicholas Kett » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
   I've had Linux installed for over a year now (June 97 release) on my
7200. When I first installed I had only the root and another user set. Now
I want to add another user and password. I've added the user with no
problems but when I type:

passwd 'username'

I get:

Enter an empty password to quit
/usr/lib/npasswd/npasswd.motd(END)

with that last line in reversed type (the way man commands/messages look).
Attempting to type a password gives strange results. For instance if my
password contains the letter 'h' I get what looks like a man help page.
   Anyone have any ideas what's going on?
   Thanks very much,
--
Nicholas Ketter
Sr. Engineer

1. Big trouble--/etc/passwd is hosed!

I figured this out when trying to log in this morning, and
couldn't.  Does anyone know of a workaround so I can get this
file back?  My apologies if this is a FAQ.
I was planning on re-installing a newer distribution
(have Slackware 3.0 now), but not this soon!!!

Thanks for any assistance.

2. bootpd : Ip address not found

3. passwd troubles

4. S3Trio Card Corel Linux

5. passwd trouble

6. Easy boot/recovery floppy package for RH3.0.3???

7. Ekk sp error in passwd, im in trouble

8. install rpm file on non redhat system

9. caldera /etc/passwd troubles? Help!

10. user/passwd trouble

11. passwd troubles followup

12. Some trouble in Solaris passwd and shadow (NIS)

13. trouble with /etc/passwd