Getting HFS volumes to work correctly on Mac using netatalk

Getting HFS volumes to work correctly on Mac using netatalk

Post by Steve Boyl » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Ok.  I am kind of new to Linux, but I have learned a lot and think I know
what I am doing most of the time.  But anyway, I am having a little trouble
with serving an HFS disk.  On my Linux box, I am running kernel 2.2.10 and
have the latest netatalk build working (with the asun patches, version
1.4b2??).  In my /etc/fstab file I have the line:

/dev/sdb5       /exchange       hfs     fork=netatalk,afpd              0 0

to mount the external hfs disk that i have conected to the computer.
Everything seems to be ok.  If I go into that directory I see everything,
and it is mounted.  In my /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default file I have:

~
/home/Documents "Documents"
/exchange "MacOS Partition"

Now when I log into the server on a mac, I get the three mount points, yet
the "MoacOS Partition" one is greyed out, and if I try to mount any of the
other ones, it gives me an error saying the the service has closed.  Yet, if
I unmount the /exchange partition, all three are enabled and I can log in
fine.

At one point it was kindof working, and my original problem was that when I
got the hfs partition mounted on the remote mac, everything was either a
folder or a text file.  It couldn't handle the resource forks of the files,
so they were all useless.

This problem has me baffled, and any help would be great.  Sometimes I have
the HFS disk hooked up to a mac, so that is why I do not want to just copy
it onto an ext2 partition.  But, Thanks in advance.

-Steve Boyle

Getting HFS volumes to work correctly on Mac using netatalk

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Ok.  I am kind of new to Linux, but I have learned a lot and think I know
> what I am doing most of the time.  But anyway, I am having a little trouble
> with serving an HFS disk.  On my Linux box, I am running kernel 2.2.10 and
> have the latest netatalk build working (with the asun patches, version
> 1.4b2??).  In my /etc/fstab file I have the line:

> /dev/sdb5       /exchange       hfs     fork=netatalk,afpd              0 0

> to mount the external hfs disk that i have conected to the computer.
> Everything seems to be ok.  If I go into that directory I see everything,
> and it is mounted.  In my /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default file I have:

> ~
> /home/Documents "Documents"
> /exchange "MacOS Partition"

> Now when I log into the server on a mac, I get the three mount points, yet
> the "MoacOS Partition" one is greyed out, and if I try to mount any of the
> other ones, it gives me an error saying the the service has closed.  Yet, if
> I unmount the /exchange partition, all three are enabled and I can log in
> fine.

I'm able to serve removable Mac disks (Zip disks, floppies, and CD-ROMs)
from my x86 Linux box.  Here are the /etc/fstab entries I use for these:

/dev/scd0  /mnt/maccd    hfs    ro,user,noauto,conv=binary,fork=netatalk 0 0
/dev/fd0   /mnt/macflop  hfs    noauto,user,conv=binary,uid=500,fork=netatalk
/dev/sda   /mnt/maczip   hfs    noauto,user,conv=binary,fork=netatalk,uid=500

I've got my system set up to export the /mnt directory, not the individual
mount points.

This works, though I often have problems deleting files (I think that
netatalk tries to delete the resource fork first, to which the Linux HFS
drivers object), and when I copy files to the HFS devices, they lose their
resource forks (again, I suspect a similar incompatibility).  I haven't
tried the afpd parameter yet; it might fix these problems.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me
Author of _Special Edition Using WordPerfect for Linux_, from Que;
see http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/books.html

Getting HFS volumes to work correctly on Mac using netatalk

Post by John Bu » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>This works, though I often have problems deleting files (I think that
>netatalk tries to delete the resource fork first, to which the Linux HFS
>drivers object), and when I copy files to the HFS devices, they lose their
>resource forks (again, I suspect a similar incompatibility).  I haven't
>tried the afpd parameter yet; it might fix these problems.

Yes, it should definateliy fix that problem.

John
--
#!/bin/sh -
set - `type $0` 'tr "[a-zA-Z]" "[n-za-mN-ZA-M]"';while [ "$2" != "" ];do \

1. HFS volume becomes HFS+ volume after running Darwin

After installation of Darwin on my Power Computing Powercenter Pro 210
MHz and running it for th  e first time, one of my HFS volumes got
corrupted.

I tried to fix it with Norton Utilies 5.02 and now it's a HFS+
partition. All applications give a -199 error when run: the resource
forks are damaged.

The strangest thing is that when I run SoftRaid 2.22 it says that the
disk is still a HFS disk, but when i do Get Info I it says Mac OS
Extended.

Technical Information:
- 1 Adaptec 2940UW flashed to Powerdomain 2940UW for the mac.
- The volume that is now Extended resides on the adaptec SCSI bus.

- The volume where Darwin is installed on (HFS+) is attached to the
internal SCSI Bus.

How do I get my Extended volume back to the old HFS volume and fix the
now broken applications?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

2. [2.4] Obvious: drivers/parport/parport_serial.c depends on PCI.

3. Getting an HFS volume's name?

4. linux server

5. Netatalk : getting mac address from net/node Appletak number

6. Dual boot linux/Win95 and linux hardware compatibility problems

7. Netatalk - login works but won't mount volume

8. handling a file with a perl script

9. Info for Mac-printing using Netatalk needed

10. Printserver for Mac AND PC - Ever used Netatalk ?

11. Printing from Mac using netatalk on Solaris

12. Netatalk doesn't work with Mac OS 8.5

13. Problems with Mac-Clients working on a Linux-Filserver with Netatalk