PPP times out

Post by Alexande » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

PPP (LinuxPPC 1999) dials, connects, logs on etc, and then reports that
it has timed out. Any idea why?
Thanks in advance.

--
Alexander
[remove nospam. to reply]

PPP times out

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> PPP (LinuxPPC 1999) dials, connects, logs on etc, and then reports that
> it has timed out. Any idea why?
> Thanks in advance.

This happened to me all the time so I gave up.

Basically, it seems to be authentication problems...

--
Fan of Woody Allen
User of MacOS, BeOS, LinuxPPC

PPP times out

Post by Roger Boulange » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am a 486 Linux user, not a PPC Linux user but I happened to be browsing
this group & saw your message.
I hope this is not misleading, because my experience has been with 486, not
PPC so these suggestions may not apply.

Are you using "ppp-on"?
If so, there should be a timeout value that sets the maximum ppp idle time
before the ppp session shuts down (in "ppp-on" where it invokes ppp/pppd).
Of course, this assume that your log on has been successful.
Do you know if ppp starts?
You have to turn this on in the startup script. Depending on who you are
connecting to, you may have to turn their's on too.
Check the documentation on ppp. There's lots of it.

Roger

>> PPP (LinuxPPC 1999) dials, connects, logs on etc, and then reports that
>> it has timed out. Any idea why?
>> Thanks in advance.

>This happened to me all the time so I gave up.

>Basically, it seems to be authentication problems...

>--
>Fan of Woody Allen
>User of MacOS, BeOS, LinuxPPC
>Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

1. named configuartion in a ppp setup - time outs

How to configure named so when my ppp0 interface goes down, named will
fail right away any queries that regard IP addresses outside my own
local domain? I would like to avoid having named to time out in such
cases which for applications like Navigator is quite a drag. What's
worse, in some cases I see Navigator to go into a spin as a result and I
have to kill it since will not respond any more. Maybe its dns_helper
gets in trouble  because of named failing to respond in time?
Regardless of Navigator, the issue with named is still there.  Perhaps a
crude solution is to shutdown named wherever ppp0 goes down and then
bring it up with ppp0 going up? However this in turn will destroy
named's cache. I wonder how are you dealing with it?

Thank you, Antoni

--
Antoni Lapinski

tel: +31 10 4422605  fax: +31 10 4515036

2. Pretend I'm a serial printer??

3. RPC time outs at boot time

4. Error installing on 7500 HELP PLEASE

5. fix VIA Rhine time outs (some)

6. DNS: What file to edit????

7. Netscape time-outs

8. 100 dpi

9. Socket to SMTP server - periodic time outs

10. SCSI Time Outs? Please Help.

11. Jserv time outs

12. * rwall and shutdown: rpc time-outs *

13. Scsi host time outs -- help