installing linux on the ibook2 (ibook dual usb, ibook 500, etc)

installing linux on the ibook2 (ibook dual usb, ibook 500, etc)

Post by Jack Moffi » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:09:31

I recently purchased an iBook2 in order to run Linux.  These are pretty new
so there wasn't much in the way of online help.  After a few days of playing
around, I finally got it triple booting OS 9, OS X, and Linux, and it
even lets me use the Open Firmware boot menu.

Since there was nothing else around, I wrote a few pages of notes on my
experiences, including some of my config files.

http://www.xiph.org/~jack/ibook/

Also, you'll find a page that contains my research into the sound hardware
on the new iBook.  Sound doesn't work yet, but I'm planning to start
writing a driver for it.

Hopefully this will help some of you out there.  Also, if you have any
questions or comments, please let me know.

jack.

installing linux on the ibook2 (ibook dual usb, ibook 500, etc)

Post by Alex » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:41:52

with the current debian 2.2_rev3 ppc isos you don't need to
change the paths in yaboot.conf after you've spawned
a shell. It won't work, just leave all the paths like they
are, only correct the partitions as described.

Everthing else works fine, thanx for the infos Jack :)

Alex

Quote:> I recently purchased an iBook2 in order to run Linux.  These are pretty
new
> so there wasn't much in the way of online help.  After a few days of
playing
> around, I finally got it triple booting OS 9, OS X, and Linux, and it
> even lets me use the Open Firmware boot menu.

> Since there was nothing else around, I wrote a few pages of notes on my
> experiences, including some of my config files.

> http://www.xiph.org/~jack/ibook/

> Also, you'll find a page that contains my research into the sound hardware
> on the new iBook.  Sound doesn't work yet, but I'm planning to start
> writing a driver for it.

> Hopefully this will help some of you out there.  Also, if you have any
> questions or comments, please let me know.

> jack.

installing linux on the ibook2 (ibook dual usb, ibook 500, etc)

Post by Justi » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:40:21

Hey Jack,

Just wondering what resolution is supported on an external monitor. Under MacOS
it seems to be crippled, only allowing 1024x768. Is the cripping in the hardware
(thus broken under any OS), or is it just crippled under MacOS?