software question - documentation on software?

software question - documentation on software?

Post by Bernhard Reit » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> i know that the majority of software available for Linux PPC is on the
> various ftp sites and on the source disk that comes with the Linux PPC
> 2000 package.

> my question is, where can i find documentation on what the software is
> and does? is there an archive somehwere that has brief descriptions of
> the programs?

There is no central archive but a bunch of places and methods to get
what you want. (freshmeat.net would be one place to look.)

Quote:

> even a source with a one sentance description for software (similar to
> what is displayed when you install linux) would be a lot better than
> just looking at a bunch of rpm's and guessing what they are.

Each rpm contains a little description.
So they are in fact a database. Use rpm to query it.

        rpm -qi -p the_package_you_want_to_know_about.rpm

Oh, you want one liners? No problem:

        rpm -qi --queryformat "%{NAME}s: \t %{SUMMARY}s\n" *.rpm

Noch Fragen Kienzle?    *

* (Funny German Television Quote.)

        Bernhard

--
Professional Service around Free Software                (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)

Post by Bernhard Reit » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

> thanks for the link. i know about using rpm to tell what the program
> is, and that in gnome it's as simple as a right click - but i was
> asking about documentation on software BEFORE it is downloaded :o)

Sorry for misunderstanding the question.

Like I said, there is no central or authoritative place to look.
Freshmeat is one.
http://www.rpmfind.org/RPM/index.html is another.

Apard from that the debian Database might be interesting and search
engines probalby give you good results if you have a special rpm,
you want to know about.

        Bernhard
--
Professional Service around Free Software                (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure            (ffii.org)

1. Documentation or software - bug?

Hi,

Here's my conclusion/opinion.

All of the (networking) BOOLEAN parameters expect newlen (in the
sysctl system call) to be sizeof(int), not 1, but (your) sysctl
program executes the syscall with newlen = 1.

It ([your] sysctl program) should be modified to pass
BOOLEANs as int's.
In other words, BOOLEAN doesn't imply length = 1.

~Randy

  sysctl.c
4K Download

2. F90 with Linux ?

3. software for documentation

4. Post your PPPOE + Firewall config please...

5. documentation on networking-software internals

6. Misc. questions

7. Software for documentation

8. Adding Modem

9. Any detailed software documentation?

10. documentation for the format of /etc/opt/SUNWut/smartcard/ files (SUNRAY Server Software)

11. Documentation or software - bug?

12. Free Software Needs Free Documentation

13. .texinfo documentation for GNU software?