USB Modems and LinuxPPC

Post by Daniel J. McKa » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

     I know I've asked this question before, but I've noticed while
compiling v2.2.15pre19 that USB communications are supported by it.  The
problem is though, when I run menuconfig the conifigurator will not
allow the USB options to be embedded within the kernel.  Everytime I try
and hit the return key (to move from the "M" to a "*") the system beeps
and nothing happens.  I can continue through and the compiling goes
without fail but when I try to boot with the new kernel the USB ports
are not recognized.  So far I have been forced to use the precompiled
kernel I downloaded for booting with BootX.
     Is there anyone who has successfully configured either the
2.2.15pre19 or 2.3.99pre6 for a Yikes! G4/400?  I've been using the
instructions I downloaded for the 2.2.14pre9 kernel and I'm wondering if
there are some steps that I've been missing.  Do I need to include a ln
-s /usr/src/linux/include/usb/ usb to the 7th step in the instructions?
     If there is someone who knows the steps, please reply to this with
an instruction list.
my computer set-up:

Yikes! G4/400 w/ 256MB RAM
2 gig drive (1.9GB=root, 64MB=swap)
USB keyboard and 3 button Interex Scrolling USB mouse
USB 56k Global Village Teleport - will I need a special driver from GV
for it to run?
gPort serial adapter (fits into the internal modem slot and acts like a
serial port)

If you solve this for me you are indeed Superman!

thanks

Dan

1. USB modem support with LinuxPPC

Greetings:
  I have posted here before about losing my iMac serial modem and having
to rely on USB modems, which I haven't gotten working.
  After researching the issue over on the USB page, I find that USB
support for modems comes in the ACM driver. And it seems that most of
the USB being backported includes the ACM as a module. (I downloaded a
2.2.14 kernel that had 2.3.whatever USB support backported in and use it
for my Epson 740 printer, which works fine.)
  I also found out that there are USB modems that use the ACM standard.
For example I see Zoom, Diamond and some 3Com's listed.
  Assuming I had such a modem, and have an acm.o module (I do, I
checked), what do I have to do to get it to work. Just do an insmod for
the module? Is there more to it? What's my next step?
  Thanks in advance.

--
"The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook."
                                    William James

Clarence R Carlson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Campus tour

3. Can LinuxPPC use a Global Village USB modem?

4. mail and Mime64

5. USB modem for iMac/LinuxPPC??

6. 2.5.39 s390.

7. Anbody port a USB modem to LinuxPPC?

8. firewall for solaris

9. Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. how to make 'Pegas.usb V90 USB Modem' in RH linux

12. how to make 'Pegas.usb V90 USB Modem' work in RH linux

13. adsl and usb: zyxel usb modem