LinuxPPC on a Powerbook vs. Desktop

Post by James Felix Blac » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> What are the pros and cons of using Linux on a G3 book?

Big con right now is that LinuxPPC 1999 apparently can't be properly
installed on the IBM IDE hard drive in your Wallstreet 300, if indeed
you have an IBM drive in there.  Check with the Apple System Profiler.

If you do in fact have the IBM, wait around a couple of weeks for an
update of some kind before you try.

Regards,
JFB

--

"Linux is only free if your time has no value." -- JWZ

LinuxPPC on a Powerbook vs. Desktop

Post by Maslow Lumia Bartorill » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm planning on installing LinuxPPC 1999 from CD (the FTP venture was a big
waste of time) and I'd like some advice on where to place it. Right now I
have a G3/300 Powerbook, 8 gig drive with only 1.5 Gig in use. I also have a
desktop Powercenter Pro 180. The internal 2 Gig drive is reserved for
video/multimedia purposes, but I do have an external 1 Gig drive that I
could probably spare.

What are the pros and cons of using Linux on a G3 book?

Can I partition 1 Gig of th PB drive (950 root, 50 swap) without losing the
1.5 Gig of data currently residing on the 8 gig drive? (I'm sure I can't)

Am I just better off sticking Linux on the external drive for my desktop
since I'm only going to use it for educational purposes? (At least until I
can find a reasonably inexpensive way to run a webserver.)

Will Linux crawl on the 604 180mhz processor?

Thanks.

Joe

Post by Stephane Morva » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I'm planning on installing LinuxPPC 1999 from CD (the FTP venture was a big
> waste of time) and I'd like some advice on where to place it. Right now I
> have a G3/300 Powerbook, 8 gig drive with only 1.5 Gig in use. I also have a
> desktop Powercenter Pro 180. The internal 2 Gig drive is reserved for
> video/multimedia purposes, but I do have an external 1 Gig drive that I
> could probably spare.

> What are the pros and cons of using Linux on a G3 book?

> Can I partition 1 Gig of th PB drive (950 root, 50 swap) without losing the
> 1.5 Gig of data currently residing on the 8 gig drive? (I'm sure I can't)

> Am I just better off sticking Linux on the external drive for my desktop
> since I'm only going to use it for educational purposes? (At least until I
> can find a reasonably inexpensive way to run a webserver.)

> Will Linux crawl on the 604 180mhz processor?

> Thanks.

> Joe

Well, I have a G3/266 Wallstreet. Installation went very well. I would
advise you either get a CDRom, or make one with linuxppc-R5 on it. That
will save you time. What you can do, also is to d/l everything to a
SUN/PC/whatever machine and use it to install everything from there
(RedHat installer supports both anonymous and non-anonymous ftp
installations). You'll have to know before hand the various settings on
your network. I've installed from an internal HD, but you'll have to put
the RedHat directory carefully, and locate it properly (e.g. /dev/hda7,
/dev/hda8 or whatever you have your system set up).

The only pros that I have with running linuxPPC on a PB is that you
can't put the machine to sleep. So, if you're at school, and figure out
it's time to go home, it's not as convenient as putting the machine to
sleep on MacOS (though it does not take much time to power down the
machine). This being, said, unless you're looking for top notch
performance with I/Os that a powerbook would not handle (like with Ultra
SCSI HDs or whatever), I'd say running it on a laptop is very
convenient. Heat maybe a problem, but you'll get what you're getting
from MacOS on a bad day, at worst (I usually leave both media bay empty,
it helps cool down the unit).

You will have to partition your HD, which means reformatting it.

Linux will run Ok on a 604/180, not like on a G3/300, but will run fine.
Don't desperate when setting up X, it's likely you'll get a hard time.
Check the old postings on that problem, it's been discussed already at
length, under many forms.

--
Stephane Morvan

This email adress can not be used for unsollicited, unrelevant junk emails.
Remove whatever you think is odd in my email address to respond....

* WWW   : http://www.vr.clemson.edu/~smorvan                *
* IVECS homepage: http://design.vr.clemson.edu/ivecs/       *

1. Desktop vs Window Manager vs X11 vs OS

Hi,

this must be silly, but I don't really understand the boundaries of the
concepts mentioned in the subject, even though I probably sort of
understand the concepts themselves: KDE, e.g. is a desktop, it runs
under Linux and includes WM, which uses X11 as a protocol. [please do
correct me if I'm wrong] But where does one end and another one start?

For instance, should the same program necessarily run across different
desktops, but the same OS's? Things like this still seem mirky to me.

Thanks.

Wroot.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. curses and SIGALRM

3. LinuxPPC vs. LinuxPPC Lite

4. LINUX, Reno, and Sony

5. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

6. HELP Need ELF. Using gs 3.33, how do I convert to ELF?

7. SANE vs Umax Astra 1220S vs LinuxPPC 1999

8. Multiple kernels OOPS at boot on Fujitsu pt510 ( AMD DX100 CPU ) - ksymoops output attached

9. LinuxPPC vs. Mac OS 8.6 vs. Be OS?

10. solaris desktop vs. server, vs. hardware

11. Desktop vs. Command Line, was Linux vs. OS/2

12. powerbook (bronze) and linuxppc 2000 install problem

13. LinuxPPC 2000 and G3 Powerbook modem