Differences between LinuxPPC and other linux flavors.

Differences between LinuxPPC and other linux flavors.

Post by Jonny910 » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I recently converted to Mac (thankyou god!).  I used to use RedHat linux.  Are
there any major differences between LinuxPPC and RedHat that I should know
about?  I'm going on the assumption that all it does is make linux run on Mac
hardware.

From the desk of:
Jonathan DePrizio

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I recently converted to Mac (thankyou god!).  I used to use RedHat linux.  Are
> there any major differences between LinuxPPC and RedHat that I should know
> about?  I'm going on the assumption that all it does is make linux run on Mac
> hardware.

LinuxPPC is essentially Red Hat Linux for PowerPC computers.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User (MacOS, Linux, BeOS)

Differences between LinuxPPC and other linux flavors.

Post by Stewart Smit » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

of course you need PPC binaries to run on PPC hardware.

There are some differences but not enough to wake a serious impact.

Coming from x86 hardware you're going to have some differences you'll
have to get used to but it won't take long. In fact, the main
differences I've noticed is that it's a hell of a lot easier to get
linux on ppc hardware than it is to get it working on intel hardware.

welcome to the best linux platform around (except for a huge RS/6000
machine with a decent dose of processors, or linux on a cray if
anybody's ever done it)

cheers,
stew

> > I recently converted to Mac (thankyou god!).  I used to use RedHat linux.  Are
> > there any major differences between LinuxPPC and RedHat that I should know
> > about?  I'm going on the assumption that all it does is make linux run on Mac
> > hardware.

> LinuxPPC is essentially Red Hat Linux for PowerPC computers.

> --
> Fan of Woody Allen
> PowerPC User (MacOS, Linux, BeOS)
> Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

Differences between LinuxPPC and other linux flavors.

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 13:30:13 +1100,

+ linux on a cray

Unicos >>>>>>>> linux

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>