sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

Post by ERNET Brun » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Did anybody ever experience this kind of problem configuring sendmail ?

If yes, how can the problem be solved ?

Bruno

sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 22 May 2000 12:00:59 +0200,

+ Did anybody ever experience this kind of problem configuring sendmail ?

No. What does "hostname -a" tell you? is it your machine's hostname? the
only thing I can think of is that your hostname is configured right, and
sendmail is objecting...

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

Post by ERNET Brun » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

> On Mon, 22 May 2000 12:00:59 +0200,

> + Did anybody ever experience this kind of problem configuring sendmail ?

> No. What does "hostname -a" tell you?

it tells me "courrier".

Quote:>  is it your machine's hostname?

Yes it is.

Quote:> the only thing I can think of is that your hostname is configured right, and
> sendmail is objecting...

And for what reason is it objecting ?

Bruno

sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 22 May 2000 23:58:14 +0200,

+ > No. What does "hostname -a" tell you?
+ it tells me "courrier".
+ >  is it your machine's hostname?
+ Yes it is.

So that is configured right. You can call me a dunce, tho, since the
error quite clearly states: DOMAIN NAME, not HOST NAME... :\

+ And for what reason is it objecting ?

It isn't able to resolve your domain name...does /etc/resolv.conf have a
"domain" line? does /etc/hosts spell out your Fully Qualified Domain Name
(FQDN)? as in: courrier.<whatever>.<whatever> ??

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

Post by ERNET Brun » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> So that is configured right. You can call me a dunce, tho, since the
> error quite clearly states: DOMAIN NAME, not HOST NAME... :\

I confirm: the error clearly states DOMAIN NAME
Quote:

> + And what reason is it objecting for?

> does /etc/resolv.conf have a  "domain" line?

No. The only 2 lines are:
search ici.fr
servername

What is the syntax of a "domain line" ?

Quote:>  does /etc/hosts spell out your Fully Qualified Domain Name
>(FQDN)? as in: courrier.<whatever>.<whatever> ??

Yes, perfectly.

Bruno

sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 23 May 2000 22:07:20 +0200,

+ > does /etc/resolv.conf have a  "domain" line?
+ No. The only 2 lines are:
+ search ici.fr
+ servername
+
+ What is the syntax of a "domain line" ?

As follows:

domain <whatever>.<whatever>

Example:

domain libertysurf.fr

if you where part of the libertysurf.fr domain.

+ >  does /etc/hosts spell out your Fully Qualified Domain Name
+ >(FQDN)? as in: courrier.<whatever>.<whatever> ??

+ Yes, perfectly.

Uh huh...it *should* get it from there....:( You should refer to
www.sendmail.org's FAQ. You may have to hardcode it into the
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf file...

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

1. Linuxconf reports "Can't compute the domain name of this server"

Hi Folks,

I cannot get sendmail to work properly.  When I use Linuxconf to configure it
and generate the /etc/sendmail.cf file it issues:

Can't compute the domain name of this server.
It won't accept email correctly.
Please enter a fully qualified domain name in the
"Basic host information" screen.

When I check the "basic host information" I have:

Hostname:  VBOX
Adaptor 1:   Primary name + domain: ne.mediaone.net
Adaptor 2:   Primary name + domain:  VBOX.mccci.com

Adaptor 1 goes to my cable modem and Adaptor 2 goes to my LAN.

Executing the following commands yield:

hostname            ->  VBOX
dnsdomainname  ->  mccci.com
domainname       ->

Notice that domainname yields nothing in response (I would have expected
'mccci.com' here).

Can anyone help me with this?  I'd really like to get sendmail working
properly on this Linux box.

-Thanks in advance for all help.

-Mike

2. installing rpm-files

3. Sendmail : How to have a 'From Header' with domain name ?

4. Fatal Server error: Font Path?

5. Solaris 2.5 sendmail doesn't know the domain name

6. RH 6.2: Seg Fault in Chunk-Free Malloc in control-panel

7. sendmail can't qualify own domain name?

8. Novell/SCO Integration

9. SENDMAIL and email server for domain name ONLY

10. sendmail/libc 4.6.27 'name server timeout' problem

11. I can't resolve domain names using my ISP DNS Server!!!!

12. Apache2 Startup Halted -"Could not determin server's fully qualified domain name"

13. include domain name in machine's name on install ?