Using installer.coff for rescue, how???

Post by mrf.. » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I have LinuxPPC installed, and I mistakenly added a line to the
rc.sysinit file, which now starts a daemon too early, and the system
won't boot.  I need to use the install floppy to boot into some sort of
single-user mode so I can mount the file system and fix the problem.  I
set the boot-file in the NVRAM settings to "--rescue" but it still
brings up the installer.  Does anyone know how I should go about this?
Please respond by e-mail, and thanks in advance!

[...]

Thanks for the info.  I'm sorry about the 3 posts, but our news server
has been rather unresponsive, and I didn't intend it...

Using installer.coff for rescue, how???

Post by Kevin ? McGoug » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

I can never get rescue to work on my powerbook 3400..

I have used the command

 successfully .. perhaps the kernel in the boot directory will get you
there....

alternatively try:   vmlinux.coff on floppy and the command

"boot fd:vmlinux.coff linux 1"

that should get you in ..  maybe.  I am only a tinkerer with these
things

page 176.. of the redhat manual covers these sorts of things.

Post by Steve Pel » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

>Hi, I have LinuxPPC installed, and I mistakenly added a line to the
>rc.sysinit file, which now starts a daemon too early, and the system
>won't boot.  I need to use the install floppy to boot into some sort of
>single-user mode so I can mount the file system and fix the problem.  I
>set the boot-file in the NVRAM settings to "--rescue" but it still
>brings up the installer.  Does anyone know how I should go about this?
>Please respond by e-mail, and thanks in advance!

No need to use a rescue floppy. Just reboot your system using the
kernel on the hard drive. Add "init=/bin/sh" after the boot file name;
e.g. instead of "/vmlinux", make it "/vmlinux init=/bin/sh".

You'll need to mount root rw; use the following commands:

/sbin/swapon -a
/sbin/fsck -A
mount -n -w -o remount /
rm /etc/mtab
mount -a -t nonfs

Now you should be able to edit your various files.
When you're done, you can issue:

umount -a

If you want to continue with a normal boot use:

exec /sbin/init

When it tries to do the swapon, it will complain that swap is already
enabled, which doesn't hurt anything.

If you'd rather just reboot, be sure you do the following instead of
the exec:

sync
/sbin/reboot

Note: there are various versions of mount and umount that behave
differently when /etc/mtab doesn't exist, or isn't writeable, or has
invalid contents, or has root marked as read-only, or when unmounting the
root file system. I believe the above should work on most versions, even
if mtab is totally screwed up (though you may get some warning messages).

1. R4/PowerTowerPro225/installer.coff..coff..cofff...hak!

Hi folks,

I just received my R4 CD in the mail (hey, it only took 6 weeks, but at
least its here :o) )...

In a nut shell I can't get it to install on my Power Tower Pro 225 (IMS
4MB).

With bootvars (1.3) I setup the boot-device to be fd:installer.coff,
input-device=kbd, output-device=screen, click write and save, then yes,
machine reboots OF kicks in - Happiness and joy? _erm_ sorta...

I've hooked a console up to modem port and can see what going on during
the boot process, and here's what happens;

- OF finds the installer.coff image on fd - this is good.
- installer.coff image loads and  then bombs when it comes to sending a

(oh yeah, its seems to have correctly identified the IMS/4MB card ok).

...no problem I say to myself, I'll change the out-device to be ttya,
keep the input-device as kbd and proceed from there.

[PRAM is Zapped]

MacOS is once again lives, bootvars are open and being played with to
meet the aforementioned params, write & reboot, yes, machines reboots,
OF kicks in - Happiness and Joy? _erm_ no :o (

- just as before, output-device reverts to  'screen' ! ..what's up with
that??

Consequently boot process hangs in the same place.  Either  Bootvars is
on krack and not saving params the way it should, or I've got a
installer.coff image with a "I want my environment this way or else"
personality.

[PRAM is Zapped once again] - > MacOS

Bootvars - > autoboot disabled,  W&S, Y, machines reboots OF prompt
appears.

manually;

input-device kbd
OK
output-device ttya
OK
 :o )   (no it didn't smile).

boot fd:installer.coff

Same results as before!! ...OF boot params are being ignored or
overwritten by the installer.

Has anyone else out there experienced similar issues to this? ...if so
how did you get around it?

I've tried passing different vmode params with Bootvars but they to are
ignored.

Thanks in advance,

Mike :o)

"Reality creates virtual existence...
virtual existence in itself becomes a reality".

2. ValueStor-paride problem

3. vmlinux.coff / installer.coff?

4. GW2000 w/Matrox MGA WRAM card

5. NEW installer.coff [was: Q: installer 'Components to Install' ]

6. Help with Slackware and IDE CD-ROM

7. installer.coff floppy does not work

8. AHA-2940 does'nt write on HD

9. cannot get installer.coff to work

10. boot installer.coff from zipdrive?

11. installer.coff boots then hangs?!

12. problems with installer.tulip.coff on 6500

13. linuxppc installer.coff