pppd is driving me crazy, and sound too

Post by Roberto Maria Avanzi Mocenig » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have a Powerbook G3 Series (actually, my girlfriend has it)
with the internal cobalt modem, and we set ppp with the netcfg
tool as described in the docs that came with LinuxPPC R5.

Now, when the machine is turned on, and booted into linux
it usually connects with ppp but if for some reason the
connection is broken (any reason), it is impossible to set it
up.  I tried all the docs I could find, and also followed
W. Unruh's steps.  Then I call pppd directly and I am
waiting for 'OK' for a huge time, then it says "alarm, failed,
wrong ioctl for this terminal".  Whoa.  What does it mean ?

If I just reboot into MacOS it connects without a problem.
But if I return to LinuxPPC, no connection at all.  I have to
turn the machine off and then on, and cross my fingers.

Oh, yes, and one time out of five, I get sound working, so I
hear the dial-up sounds when it connects.  But 4 times out
of 5 i do not hear the sounds, yet it might connect (in this
case I do not get sound at all on the machine, and the gnome
sounds, when hearable, are either distorted or garbled).

We've got actually two problems here.
Anybody managed to solve them ?

Or at least one of them ?  :-)

Thanks in advance

Roberto
--
/_/  Roberto Maria Avanzi
_/  Institut fr Experimentelle Mathematik / Universit?t Essen

1. tunneling with stunnel 3-8 / pppd / redhat 5.2 drives me crazy !

I am trying to set up a tunnel between two private lan
over public internet with two linux boxes as tunnel endpoints.

I use ppp over an stunnel (encrypted ssl) channel between two linux redhat
5.2.
I've got nt clients behind each part of the tunnel.

Everything runs fine except one thing that drives me crazy !

I can ping and tracert from each NT to the other one
beside the other endpoint of the tunnel.
On both linux, I can use any TCP connections fine (HTTP, ...) to NT servers
On both NT : ping and tracert runs fine to remote NT partner.

But IP protocols are running ONE WAY ONLY on NT clients !!!
I can http from one local NT to the other remote one
but I CAN NOT http (or any other TCP protocols) from the remote NT to the
local one.

something I miss in the linux config ??

any idea ????

--

2. Help with newfs under SunOS 4.1.1: can't allocate sectors

3. PPPD Is Driving Me Crazy!!!!

4. Red Hat RPM troubles: cannot install kernel-header

5. am I crazy?

6. Ada elf binary, compiler

7. Am I crazy or does RPM blow

8. ide_dmaproc: chipset does not support dma...

9. HELP!! I am getting crazy!

10. Am I crazy

11. Help! I am going crazy with installation.

12. Am I crazy or just dreaming...

13. Sol9 binaries - help me I am going crazy