Installing R5 beta

Post by Michael Switk » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all.  I'm trying to install the R5 beta-1 on my powerbook G3 and I'm
doing pretty well, jut not well enough.  I'm using the large ramdisk from
Martin Costabel and all seems well aside from some comps errors and a
couple of packages which don't load right.  The installer proceeds through
installing all of the RPMs.  Then it tries to run Xconfigurator.  It
identifies the graphics card correctly and then hangs when I say ok.  No
recovery possible.  I can poke around on virtual console 2 but I can't run
ps (to kill Xconfigurator) because of a library conflict.

Is there some way to stop Xconfigurator from running so that my disk is at
least in a useable state afterward (right now there's no /etc/fstab, among
many other things, I'm sure).  Any other good ideas out there?  Is there
any prospect of a useable installer anytime soon?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

--
Michael Switkes
Department of Physics

Installing R5 beta

Post by Galatoula » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all.  I'm trying to install the R5 beta-1 on my powerbook G3 and I'm
> doing pretty well, jut not well enough.  I'm using the large ramdisk from
> Martin Costabel and all seems well aside from some comps errors and a
> couple of packages which don't load right.  The installer proceeds through
> installing all of the RPMs.  Then it tries to run Xconfigurator.  It
> identifies the graphics card correctly and then hangs when I say ok.  No
> recovery possible.  I can poke around on virtual console 2 but I can't run
> ps (to kill Xconfigurator) because of a library conflict.

> Is there some way to stop Xconfigurator from running so that my disk is at
> least in a useable state afterward (right now there's no /etc/fstab, among
> many other things, I'm sure).  Any other good ideas out there?  Is there
> any prospect of a useable installer anytime soon?

> Thanks in advance,

> Mike

> --
> Michael Switkes
> Department of Physics
> Stanford University

Well there is a solution to your problem, actually a very simple one. it jut
takes a bit of experimentation!
In my case, I just DID NOT LOAD Xconfigurator during installation (by
unckecking it in during the "choose individual packages" stage). I did load
XF86config and the Xpmac and XFBdev servers and installation proceededwith no
more problems. Just remeber to make a soft link to the server you want to use
when you first boot in Linux, in other words after login go to the /etc/X11/
directory and type
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac X
to point to your server. In my case it worked pretty well and I have a nice
(more or less!!!) working R5 installation!  (If you still want Xconfigurator,
you can insatll it AFTERWARDS and I did see any further complications
although it is obvious that it is really beta stuff!)

Good luck!

P.S. By the way is there someone with a good advice on how to configure the
INTERNAL modem on my 6500 PowerMac??? I am experimenting almost for two
months now with both R4 and R5 LinuxPPC but I still cannot get ppp working!!!
I suppose the difficulty stems from the modem being internal because no
device configuration seems to correspond to it. Any help???
Regards
Emmanuel

Installing R5 beta

Post by Galatoula » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all.  I'm trying to install the R5 beta-1 on my powerbook G3 and I'm
> doing pretty well, jut not well enough.  I'm using the large ramdisk from
> Martin Costabel and all seems well aside from some comps errors and a
> couple of packages which don't load right.  The installer proceeds through
> installing all of the RPMs.  Then it tries to run Xconfigurator.  It
> identifies the graphics card correctly and then hangs when I say ok.  No
> recovery possible.  I can poke around on virtual console 2 but I can't run
> ps (to kill Xconfigurator) because of a library conflict.

> Is there some way to stop Xconfigurator from running so that my disk is at
> least in a useable state afterward (right now there's no /etc/fstab, among
> many other things, I'm sure).  Any other good ideas out there?  Is there
> any prospect of a useable installer anytime soon?

> Thanks in advance,

> Mike

> --
> Michael Switkes
> Department of Physics
> Stanford University

Well there is a solution to your problem, actually a very simple one. it jut
takes a bit of experimentation!
In my case, I just DID NOT LOAD Xconfigurator during installation (by
unckecking it in during the "choose individual packages" stage). I did load
XF86config and the Xpmac and XFBdev servers and installation proceededwith no
more problems. Just remeber to make a soft link to the server you want to use
when you first boot in Linux, in other words after login go to the /etc/X11/
directory and type
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac X
to point to your server. In my case it worked pretty well and I have a nice
(more or less!!!) working R5 installation!  (If you still want Xconfigurator,
you can insatll it AFTERWARDS and I did see any further complications
although it is obvious that it is really beta stuff!)

Good luck!

P.S. By the way is there someone with a good advice on how to configure the
INTERNAL modem on my 6500 PowerMac??? I am experimenting almost for two
months now with both R4 and R5 LinuxPPC but I still cannot get ppp working!!!
I suppose the difficulty stems from the modem being internal because no
device configuration seems to correspond to it. Any help???
Regards
Emmanuel

1. R5 Beta??

Is there a site with a R5 Beta distribution?  Preferably as one archive
and not 350+ individual RPMS files.  I've found a R5 Alpha at
globe.linuxppc.org  but I've heard the alpha is a nightmare.  Netscape
notwithstanding, I'm looking for something which will give a little oomph
to my iMac (ppp would be nice...)

mudget

2. mouse fd status and X

3. r5 [Fwd: Re: pre-R5 installer?]

4. DNS lookup order

5. Pre R5 files from cdrom.com with final R5 and CD-format

6. BSD3.5

7. R5 installed, reboot then kernel panic...

8. ODS and configuration considerations

9. More R5 install woes

10. Umax C500 not installing R5, HELP

11. Is it possible to install R5 (install3.tr missing)?

12. R5 install problem; "Fatal Error Opening RPM Database"

13. R5 install problem: "execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)"