New installer fixes CD-ROM configuraiton error

New installer fixes CD-ROM configuraiton error

Post by Jason Haa » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

There is a new installer for LinuxPPC 1999.  It provides automatic setup
of BootX in the Mac OS, and when installing under Linux, it uses an
updated X installer, and correctly links the CD-ROM drive.

Download the installer, and expand the file with StuffIt Expander.

ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/install/LinuxPPC_1999_Installer.bin

Cheers,

Jason Haas,
LinuxPPC Inc.

New installer fixes CD-ROM configuraiton error

Post by Birch Brownin » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

No, I've run it already, and it is definitely different from the original. It
may not be much better, but it does set up the server name correctly such that
httpd works now.

Birch

Post by Ric » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> No, I've run it already, and it is definitely different from the original. It
> may not be much better, but it does set up the server name correctly such that
> httpd works now.

> Birch

Well... it still doesnt boot into the X installer on my Umax C500.

1. How to fix rootdg due to VxVM errors by booting from CD-ROM

If volume manager fails for any reason and the rootdg becomes
inaccessible, you can boot the system to single user mode an OS
CD-ROM, manually unencapsulate the boot disk, suppress volume
manager from boot cycle and bring the system up:

1. Boot off cdrom.  If the CPUS are 4MB cache, do a "reset-all",
   then "limit-ecache-size 4" first:

ok boot cdrom -s

2. At the shell prompt, mount the root slice on /a: if the root
disk is c0t0d0 & root slice is s0.  If you see filesystem errors
when you attempt to mount, do "fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0" then try
again:

# mount c0t0d0s0 /a/

Note: make sure you are attempting to mount/fsck the correct
ctd device.  If you have difficulty mounting/fscking the ctd,
cd into the /dev/dsk/ and /dev/rdsk/ device tree and confirm
the symlink points to the correct real device in /devices.

3. cd /a

4. While in /a, edit /a/etc/system file to comment out these
two lines that will be within vm start & vm stop lines:

* vxvm_START (do not remove)
[snip]

*set vxio:vol_rootdev_is_volume=1
* vxvm_END (do not remove)

Remember that * is used for comment in this file.

5. While in /a, archive the current vfstab & copy the
vfstab.prevm to the current vxfstab:

cp /a/etc/vfstab /a/etc/vfstab.arch
cp /a/etc/vfstab.prevm /a/etc/vfstab

Now the partitions are mounted instead of volumes.

6. touch install-db to bring system up without volume manager:

touch /a/etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db

7. Unmount /a

# umount /a

8. # reboot <<<< the system will come back without vm

To bring Volume Manager back:

9. remove install-db

rm -r /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db

10. undo the changes to /etc/vfstab and /etc/system :

* vxvm_START (do not remove)
[snip]

set vxio:vol_rootdev_is_volume=1
* vxvm_END (do not remove)

cp /a/etc/vfstab.arch /a/etc/vfstab
mountall

11. # reboot <<< system will come back with volume manager.

or after removing the install-db file, restart the volume manager
manually:

# vxiod set 10
# vxconfigd -m disable
# vxdctl init
# vxdctl enable

12. Re-encapsulate the boot disk and remirror it.

2. Modem for voice mail + fax ?

3. Unable to start installer from CD-Rom

4. Sending binary file by CGI (file extension problem in "i.e.")

6. Virtual POP Providers.

7. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

8. suggestions for FreeBSD laptop PC????

9. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

10. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

11. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

12. CD-ROm ? WHat CD-ROM

13. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM