Problems installing MkLinux pre-DR3

Post by Stephan Marwede » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to install the current pre-DR3 version of MkLinux on a G3/DT/266
with 128 MB RAM. My disk setup is as follows:

Internal 4GB IDE disk with two partitions:
- 500 MB HFS with MacOS 8.1 system folder
- 3.5 GB HFS+ with MacOS apps

External 2GB SCSI disk with four partitions:
- 100 MB MKLinux root
- 700 MB Mklinux usr
- 128 MB MkLinux swap
- 1 GB MacOS HFS

I downloaded the appropriate files and put everything in
place (mach_servers folder on 500MB startup partition on IDE drive). After having
edited my lilo.conf file to tell the installer where the mach_servers folder
is (rootdev=/dev/hda5), I rebooted the machine and always get the following errors:

BAD SIGNATURE
partition 4 is ZERO sized (20001)

ERROR: bootstrap task cannot find configuration file

configuration file: /dev/boot_device/mach_servers/bootstrap.conf
.
I checked the entry in lilo.conf many times, nothing seems to be wrong. The
booter at startup correctly identifies the root device as /dev/hda5. Can the
HFS+ partition on my IDE drive be the source of the problem even if the
mach_servers folder lives on the HFS partition on the same drive?

What else can be wrong?

Any hints appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Stephan

Stephan Marwedel, Object Technology Group
Partner Consult GmbH, Hamburg, Germany

Web: http://www.parco.de

-> This message was created 100% Micro$oft free <-

Problems installing MkLinux pre-DR3

Post by Jack Howar » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

What you need to do is place the mach_servers directory on a
Zip disk and set the lilo.conf to boot from the HFS partition of
that Zip disk. The RedHat folder can still reside on the IDE
drive's HFS partition (not the HFS+ partition). Currently the
IDE support is somewhat broken on the G3 so Mklinux can't boot
from IDE drives yet.
           Jack

> Hi,

> I'm trying to install the current pre-DR3 version of MkLinux on a G3/DT/266
> with 128 MB RAM. My disk setup is as follows:

> Internal 4GB IDE disk with two partitions:
> - 500 MB HFS with MacOS 8.1 system folder
> - 3.5 GB HFS+ with MacOS apps

> External 2GB SCSI disk with four partitions:
> - 100 MB MKLinux root
> - 700 MB Mklinux usr
> - 128 MB MkLinux swap
> - 1 GB MacOS HFS

> I downloaded the appropriate files and put everything in
> place (mach_servers folder on 500MB startup partition on IDE drive).
After having
> edited my lilo.conf file to tell the installer where the mach_servers folder
> is (rootdev=/dev/hda5), I rebooted the machine and always get the
following errors:

> BAD SIGNATURE
> partition 4 is ZERO sized (20001)

> ERROR: bootstrap task cannot find configuration file

> configuration file: /dev/boot_device/mach_servers/bootstrap.conf
> .
> I checked the entry in lilo.conf many times, nothing seems to be wrong. The
> booter at startup correctly identifies the root device as /dev/hda5. Can the
> HFS+ partition on my IDE drive be the source of the problem even if the
> mach_servers folder lives on the HFS partition on the same drive?

> What else can be wrong?

> Any hints appreciated!

> Thanks in advance

> Stephan

1. MkLinux Pre-DR3 install problem...

Hi,

I just downloaded the new mac-side files and mach servers from the uiuc
mirror site for the Pre-DR3, and after I got them in their directories and
rebooted, choosing MkLinux I get a hang after the booter works its way
through my SCSI and IDE chains.  I'm using a PowerBook 2400/180 with 48MB
RAM, and everything else is stock...  And idea what I'm not doing right?

TIA,
Jeremy

2. Internet connection

3. Can't install MkLinux pre-DR3 on a Power Mac 9500/G3 266

4. Will DOS Format Command Eat Linux Partition?

5. mklinux pre-DR3 problems(PowerMac 7300/180)

6. DPMS behaviour question

7. MkLinux pre-DR3 and PCI NE2000

8. Linux is just another Apple, Mac OS?

9. MkLinux pre-DR3 + PowerTower Pro 250 "Monty"?

10. Where is the X source for pre-DR3 mkLinux?

11. Sound doesn't work in MkLinux pre-DR3 on G3?

12. Problem installing pre-DR3 on G3

13. Problems with pre-DR3 install [ boot single user? ]