G3 Ethernet MkLinux DR3

Post by Doug Hardma » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I just installed MkLinux DR3, and after the initial "Mount failed" thing
(bad burn on the CD), now I cant get out. (ie: ethernet isnt working) The
machine is a stock G3/233/4g/32mb. The installer never gave me an option for
ethernet cards, I assumed (first mistake) that it found it on it's own...

Anyone else had this problem?

    -Doug

---------------------<>-]|[===--===] Douglas Hardman

http://www.veryComputer.com/             Resident * Samurai
216-621-1835                         Cleveland, OH

G3 Ethernet MkLinux DR3

Post by Jeffrey Alexand » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I just installed MkLinux DR3, and after the initial "Mount failed" thing
: (bad burn on the CD), now I cant get out. (ie: ethernet isnt working) The
: machine is a stock G3/233/4g/32mb. The installer never gave me an option for
: ethernet cards, I assumed (first mistake) that it found it on it's own...

I had this problem a while back as well.  Apparently, on some of the G3's
(I don't think it is limited to just the 233Mhz Desktops, but that is what
I installed on), the onboard ethernet is a little different from the
standard and MkLinux doesn't recognize them.  I tried for hours, going as
far as manually setting up my ARP tables and my route tables, and had no
luck, only to find out that Mklinux just couldn't use the ethernet card.
Anyway, the only solution seems to be (and I haven't tried this since I
haven't had access to that machine recently) to use LinuxPPC.

With BootX, this is really easy.  There are a couple libraries that should
be changed, but all you really need to do to get started is to download
BootX, and a current kernel to a MacOS hard drive, follow the
instructions, then hit a button and you're using LinuxPPC.  As far as I
know, it uses the ethernet card correctly.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff

G3 Ethernet MkLinux DR3

Post by ceya.. » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I just installed MkLinux DR3, and after the initial "Mount failed" thing
: (bad burn on the CD), now I cant get out. (ie: ethernet isnt working) The
: machine is a stock G3/233/4g/32mb. The installer never gave me an option for
: ethernet cards, I assumed (first mistake) that it found it on it's own...

I have your exact same setup and ethernet works fine.  It took some work but
there is no particular reason it should not work for you.  I got my configuration
information from the Network Administrators Guide (nag), part of the Linux
Documentation Project (LDP).  This may be on your CD.  You'll need to set up
a number of things like host and domain names, IP addresses, routes.  nag is
available on the web, I don't have a URL for you, but if you do a search for
LDP on a search engine you should find it easily enough.

G3 Ethernet MkLinux DR3

Post by ceya.. » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: : I just installed MkLinux DR3, and after the initial "Mount failed" thing
: : (bad burn on the CD), now I cant get out. (ie: ethernet isnt working) The
: : machine is a stock G3/233/4g/32mb. The installer never gave me an option for
: : ethernet cards, I assumed (first mistake) that it found it on it's own...

: I have your exact same setup and ethernet works fine.

I just found mention that revision 3 of these machines does have a problem with
ethernet (http://globegate.utm.edu/MkLinux).  Mine is revision 1 I think.  Probably
why mine works and yours doesn't.
CY

1. MkLinux DR3 screen resolution problem solved on G3

Hi,
With the help of Stephen Lewis my screen resolution problem with MkLinux has
now been solved.  The problem was that even though I was getting 1024x768
resolution under Mac OS 8.1 I was only getting 640x460 under MkLinux.  The
culprit turned out to be the Applevision extention that came with my 17" Apple
monitor.  My theory is that Applevision expects the Mac NVRAM screen resolution
to be 640x480 and then, upon boot-up, it changes the setting to whatever you
select in the Sound and Monitor control panel (note that I don't mean it
changes the NVRAM setting).  Thus, whenever MkLinux booted it used whatever it
found in the NVRAM which in this case was 640x480.

After disabling the Applevision extension and changing the control panel to
1024x768 (75Hz) the resolution remains high in both the Mac OS and MkLinux.  I
suspect I've lost some functionality by disabling Applevision but I can't tell
what it is and hence don't care!

Cheers,

Jim

--
James C. Luby
Applied Physics Laboratory

2. Suse 7.2: qmailctl stat yields two messages in the queue

3. Mklinux DR3 with G3 upgrade card

4. RAID5 on RS/6000

5. Install problems with Mklinux DR3 on G3 Desktop

6. Error on setup - Redhat 6.0

7. resolution of mklinux DR3 on G3(266)

8. Apache 1.3.x problems (update)

9. Can't install MkLinux pre-DR3 on a Power Mac 9500/G3 266

10. Installation von MKLinux DR3 auf neuem G3 geht nicht

11. G3 cards and MkLinux DR3

12. MkLinux DR3 appears to work with Crescendo G3 cards

13. Sound doesn't work in MkLinux pre-DR3 on G3?