Attn: NoName...More investigation required...

Attn: NoName...More investigation required...

Post by ArchonOS » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:45:53

Ok I got this from the posts from Safely Anonymous:

Quote:> Did you make a PROPER bootstrap partition, like Ethan's docs for
> Yaboot say? (800 KB, type Apple_Bootstrap) If not, follow directions.

> DO NOT MOUNT THE BOOTSTRAP PARTITION. Don't do it. Do not do it. Make
> sure
> it's of type Apple_Bootstrap so MacOS doesn't do it either (it'll
> immediately debless the Forth bootscript, and make your Linux side not
> unbootable, but much more difficult to boot).

> Please refer to the Yaboot documentation on what kind of partition
> you're
> supposed to have as a bootstrap partition, if you don't believe me.

You are right they say nothing on the website or in the instructions
about setting up an a bare drive.

So today this is what I did that also did not work:
Quantum 4gig at hda Master internal
Maxtor 10 gig hdb Slave internal
Maxtor 60 gig hdd Slave (with the CD rom)
Maxtor 80 gig hdf Master (on a sonnet ATA 66 PCI card)

OK here is what I did:
I formatted the drive (hda) with Disk Utility from the OSX startup disk
as free space with the OS 9 drivers.
Now Safely says this doesn't matter unless you want to boot it with OS
9 but just not to mount the bootstrap partition and to partition a
proper bootstrap partition. However my install failed to write the boot
partition once again. Call me surprised.

Now I think there is something to this. Here is what YDL says you need
for a boot partition. 10 megs right and it needs to be HFS right. Well
why do you need that for a new world Mac? Answer you don't. You only
need the 800 K bootstrap partition Safely mentions. They talk about a
place to put files you can mount in Linux with the standard hfs tools
and say to mount hfs+ you need other tools. So they are using this 10
megs as a swap space for files between hfs+ and ext2.

Ok I got Mac-fdisk (that is distributed with Debian) to properly format
this bootstrap partition one time. However their installer sucks and it
puked. Mandrake and YDL failed to write yaboot to the partitions
formatted with their installers. They don't create this proper
bootstrap partition.

So here's my next step:
I am going to use Mac-fdisk from the Debian distro to format the disk.
Now the only thing you absolutely can't delete (the program won't let
you) is partition 1. It is the partition map itself. So, the bootstrap
should go on hda,2 (partition 2) with swap as 3 and root as 4.

I will try formatting the drive with Mac-fdisk and use the YDL
installer in expert mode and just save the partitions without editing
or at least only edit their mount points without touching the bootstrap
partition at all and see if it writes the yaboot to the bootstrap.
Also, if you use Mac-fdisk it actually names the partitions and calls
this one Apple_Bootstrap. I believe it's mount point is /boot.

That's it. If this fails more reading of the yaboot docs (which left
something to be desired also).

Whoever is reading, good luck with yours. I still think Linux sux but
will not be defeated only slowed down a bit.

--
"It's coming through now Kahn......Here it comes".
Archon<OSX>

Post by NoNam » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:03:54

> I still think Linux sux but will not be defeated only slowed down a bit.

My DARWIN 6.0.2 (core from Jaguar 10.2) CD is just finishing burning...

I suspect it will work fine! Just no KDE by default I think...

Attn: NoName...More investigation required...

Post by Leonard Blaisde » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:36:46

Quote:> Whoever is reading, good luck with yours. I still think Linux sux but
> will not be defeated only slowed down a bit.

With your positive attitude, I think you'll find out that Linux rules. As
I tell my wife, Mac OS is too easy. Linux is like a car. You need to
tinker to make her purr. Once she purrs, you feel elation and satisfaction
at your own ability. It's awfully hard to make her purr sometimes but it's
always worth it.

leo

--
http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

Attn: NoName...More investigation required...

Post by NoNam » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:58:16

Quote:> With your positive attitude, I think you'll find out that Linux rules. As
> I tell my wife, Mac OS is too easy. Linux is like a car. You need to
> tinker to make her purr. Once she purrs, you feel elation and satisfaction
> at your own ability. It's awfully hard to make her purr sometimes but it's
> always worth it.

Well then my "Yellow Dog Linux" came with an AA battery... and it won't
start my "Macintosh G4" car! ;-)

Post by ArchonOS » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 06:11:13

> > Whoever is reading, good luck with yours. I still think Linux sux but
> > will not be defeated only slowed down a bit.

> With your positive attitude, I think you'll find out that Linux rules. As
> I tell my wife, Mac OS is too easy. Linux is like a car. You need to
> tinker to make her purr. Once she purrs, you feel elation and satisfaction
> at your own ability. It's awfully hard to make her purr sometimes but it's
> always worth it.

> leo

Well, I really don't think Linux sux but when frustration comes on
everything sux. Like working on my beloved 1970 Chevelle SS when I was
19 (that was a while ago), I got pissed threw my tools went and smoked
a cigerette (don't do that anymore either) and got back to work.

Eventually, I figured it out and got it running.
This is similar like you say. I will pick away at it a little at a time.
Thanks for the encouragment.

--
"It's coming through now Kahn......Here it comes".
Archon<OSX>

Attn: NoName...More investigation required...

Post by Leonard Blaisde » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:29:14

Quote:> Eventually, I figured it out and got it running.
> This is similar like you say. I will pick away at it a little at a time.
> Thanks for the encouragment.

It helps to look at Linux as a hobby instead of a necessity ;-)

leo

--

Post by ArchonOS » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 05:50:13

> > Eventually, I figured it out and got it running.
> > This is similar like you say. I will pick away at it a little at a time.
> > Thanks for the encouragment.

> It helps to look at Linux as a hobby instead of a necessity ;-)

> leo

I would TOTALLY agree with that. I may try what noname was talking
about. I have Darwin on CD and might see if I can install that and get
an Xwindow environement up and running on that. I like KDE but there
are so many differences out there.

I had YDL running on a 7500 and was going to try to run Quake 3 on it
but the Q3 app is x86 so does not run on PPC. So why have Linux on a
PPC if I still can't run all those gazillion programs out there?

I think I will just leave Linux on this old crappy PC I got to play
with though.

You can never have too many (choose one) OS's, cars,
motorcycles,fishing rods, guns, golf clubs, etc.

Happy Holidays All

--
"It's coming through now Kahn......Here it comes".
Archon<OSX>

1. Attn: NoName Did you ever get YDL 2.3 working?

Just wondered I downloaded GNU Darwin 2.3 and had to burn it with a PC
cause it was a Nero Image for a PPC install. Go figure huh?

Anyway that loaded fine and works at the base install. Now just have to
figure out how to load X11 on it I guess and GNOME or KDE.

Happy Holidays to all.

--
"I guess I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue"
Archon<OSX>

2. lilo installation problems

3. require() method not returning parent directory's require directive

4. Major Server issues and setup

5. http requires 5 Solaris U2s, https requires 50?!!

6. Netscape and Signal 7.....

7. How's the investigation doing?

8. Test -- ignore this

9. Markoff Aids Mitnick Investigation

10. m$ deletes more evidence, spurs further investigations !

11. Protect your PC from investigations (72 t06d8s)

12. Protect your PC from investigations (b2u07)

13. Official EU investigation into Microsoft Passport