Voodoo3 + linuxppc

Post by Henning Loese » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I was wondering wether there will be a chance to get X running on a
voodoo3 pci if I get one.
To my understanding I would need to compile and run the standart XFree86
3.3.5 or 3.3.6 XSVGA server, is that correct? Well how do I go about it,
as the source rpm grabbed from a redhat i386 site wont compile :-(. It's
not simply missing the architecture ppc in the *.SPECS file but I seem
to need some more ppc specific patches that the *src.rpm didnt have.
Unfortunately the linuxppc sources for X don't include the XSVGA server,
or at least wont make one without any changes.
So what do I need to do? I compiled a kernel to include standart VGA
console so I hope that should work, will the XFBdev server runn on that
pci card ... I would doubt it.
Can anyone help, any hints or comments ? I'd be willing to try some
hacking in order to make it compile and work.
Cheers
Henning

--

***************************************
As the Lecturer in Recent Runes put it:

Voodoo3 + linuxppc

Post by Dietmar Herrend?rfe » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I was wondering wether there will be a chance to get X running on a
> voodoo3 pci if I get one.
> To my understanding I would need to compile and run the standart XFree86
> 3.3.5 or 3.3.6 XSVGA server, is that correct? Well how do I go about it,
> console so I hope that should work, will the XFBdev server runn on that
> pci card ... I would doubt it.

The XVGA server won't help you, because that binary is specific to PC
hardware - even if you get it to compile under Linux/PPC.
My guess is that until XFree86 version 4 comes out, PCs and Macs will
have their separate approaches, and Macs will need framebuffer device
support in the kernel. And no, there isn't a framebuffer device for the
voodoo chips (yet?). Therefore only unaccelerated X (OF driver) will
work.

Dietmar

1. Does LinuxPPC support X on a Voodoo3 card?

I'm using a Voodoo3 2000 PCI card in my beige G3 minitower.  LinuxPPC
installs fine, but when it tries to find my video card, it reports that my
card has 5MB of memory and is not accelerated, and that it's unable to run X
on my display (no matter what resolution and bit depth I put it at).  This
happens whether or not 'No video driver' is checked in the BootX dialog.

Is there any way around this so that I can use X on my Voodoo3, or does
Linux not support the Voodoo3 yet?

--
  ____    |\/|                  Brian Kendig
  \  /\   / ..__.     brian at enchanter net    You are in a maze of twisty

2. RedHat 6.0 User quotas

3. LinuxPPC and Voodoo3 help!

4. Unexpected behaviour of cpio in Solaros 2.6?

5. Voodoo3 & LinuxPPC

6. ICQ + firewall (2)

7. Full LinuxPPC 2000 at ftp.linuxppc.org ??

8. Unique ramdisk problem

9. LinuxPPC vs. LinuxPPC Lite

10. LinuxPPC and PB1400s (FW: from nubus-LinuxPPC list)

11. voodoo3 fb device

12. linux & voodoo3

13. Voodoo3