Linux on G4/AGP : NOT !

Post by David H » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Well, so far, I've managed to get the installation _started_ , with the
appropriate files on a hard-drive partition.
I'm trying LinuxPPC, as YellowDog without thier cd is a no-go (installer
looks for a specific directory/contents).
   BootX 1.2b3  _seems_ to work, but I wind up in the RedHat installer.
I get as far as being asked, "what partition and directory on that
partition hold the RedHat/RPMS and RedHat/base directories." These files
are on the root level of the "exchange" (Mac HFS) partition of the
drive. BUT, the installer responds with: "invalid entry" (or command,
whatever). This happens no matter what I try (and believe me, I tried
many different things) - including just "/" (no actual quotes).
   If I try to use the yaboot method, from/for the hard-drive, it throws
some things on-screen quickly, and then boots into the MacOS. If I try
to use a zip-disk for yaboot, I get the following message:
DEFAULT CATCH! code=300 at %SRRO: 011df440  %SRRO: 00003030
from there, I entered "boot" and it says: "Loading ELF  CLAIM failed
ok" (ie ok prompt).
    Well, none of this is in the manual (for LinuxPPC R4)... help !!!

Linux on G4/AGP : NOT !

Post by MacPia » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[...]

don't use Linuxppc 4, You have to use 5 as far as I know. Get yellowdog. I have
it installed on G4/AGP 450 mhz as well as a 350 mhz. It down work and you need
to use those imac kernels to install.

gary hostetler

Linux on G4/AGP : NOT !

Post by Paul Lieberma » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

David,
 When the installer asks for the partition that contains the RedHat stuff
you need to respond with a linux style partitions name. ie: /dev/sda3 for
the third partition on the first ATA hard drive , or /dev/sdb4 for the
fourth partition on the second SCSI hard drive.  Use Drive Setup or Pdisk
from the Mac to determine which partition your MacOS "exchange" volume .
Paul

--

Systems Engineer                          541-552-6962
Computing Services Center

1. AGP G4, Linux 2k will not find modem

I have linux 2k installed and it runs fine, when I try to make kppp work it
can't locate my modem. what should I do so it will find my modem?

Also, even though this isn't to do with the modem, how should my yaboot.conf
look if my root dir. is hdb12 and i want rage 128 accel and 24 bit at
1024x768

2. About the khg file...

3. BootX just NOT WORKING on G4 (AGP) HELP!

4. Linux as a Proxy client ?

5. Help - Linux on G4 AGP/Sawtooth

6. Fastest throughput on a modem?

7. Help booting up linux on AGP G4

8. NFS problem mounting VAX

9. Terrible static w/ linux ppc 2000 on G4 450 AGP

10. linux on a G4 AGP

11. still no Linux on G4 AGP

12. XF86Config for G4 AGP with Sony CDP-G500?

13. sslllllooowww window scrolling (linuxppc 2000, G4/AGP)