book suggestion please

Post by Steve O'Donnel » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a beige G3 that I want to repartition so I can play around with
linux. The only thing I've ever used UNIX for is checking email with PINE
so I'm truely a neophyte. I've read the installation instructions and
they seem straight forward enough so I don't think that will be a huge
headache, but what do I do then? What I'm looking for is a book that'll
teach me how to use linux. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

   Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

book suggestion please

Post by Steve O'Donnel » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a beige G3 that I want to repartition so I can play around with
linux. The only thing I've ever used UNIX for is checking email with PINE
so I'm truely a neophyte. I've read the installation instructions and
they seem straight forward enough so I don't think that will be a huge
headache, but what do I do then? What I'm looking for is a book that'll
teach me how to use linux. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

   Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

book suggestion please

Post by Dave Hube » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

On the free side you should check out the work in the Linux Documentation
Project (LDP) homepage (metalab.unc.edu/linux).  A version of these
documents might have been included in your distribution, so you can also
check your harddrive.

I have not read it, but 'Running Linux' (Welsh and Kaufman) seems to make
most must-read lists, and I have heard good things about Sobel's 'A
Practical Guide to Linux'.  A nice command reference guide is good to have
such as 'Linux in a Nutshell' (Siever et al.).

If you are planning to do any programming in Linux, I highly recommend
'Beginning Linux Programming' (Stones and Matthew).  I am currently going
through this book and it is excellent.  They use a simple application (a
program to inventory your CD collection) and walk you through coding it in
various ways.  You learn how to write shell scripts, databases, networking,
etc.

I have also found 'UNIX Power Tools' (Peek, O'Reilly, and Loukides) to be
very good.  It is a thick book filled with all sorts of tips and ideas to
make your life easier.

These books should be easy to find in a Border's or B&N where you can pick
through and browse.  Amazon.com has nice reader reviews on these too.  If
you want to purchase on line, I suggest going through one of the Linux sites
that either sells the books themselves (e.g., www.linuxcentral.com) or links
to a place like Amazon.com (e.g., www.linux.org or slashdot.org).  It is
always nice to support those who support Linux. :)

It is amazing how many excellent Linux sites there are out there.  If you
haven't looked around much yet a good subset I would recommend to start with
are:
www.linux.org
metalab.unc.edu/linux
linuxapps.com

Have fun.

Dave

> I have a beige G3 that I want to repartition so I can play around with
> linux. The only thing I've ever used UNIX for is checking email with PINE
> so I'm truely a neophyte. I've read the installation instructions and
> they seem straight forward enough so I don't think that will be a huge
> headache, but what do I do then? What I'm looking for is a book that'll
> teach me how to use linux. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

>    Steve

book suggestion please

Post by u.. » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I have a beige G3 that I want to repartition so I can play around with
> linux. The only thing I've ever used UNIX for is checking email with PINE
> so I'm truely a neophyte. I've read the installation instructions and
> they seem straight forward enough so I don't think that will be a huge
> headache, but what do I do then? What I'm looking for is a book that'll
> teach me how to use linux. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

steve

I happen to like the O'reilly nutshell book (Linux in a Nutshell).. it's
more
a reference (and not a teach book) .. but i think it one of the best out
there.
Running Linux (same pub) is also worth a look .. you might want to wait
a while
as i think a third edition is due soon (that is if yr looking to buy).
My local
Library now carrys six or seven linux titles (some of which are at least
worth
a glance) so take a look there before doling out cash.

--
cs

NOTE: remove the obvious from my address to respond via email.

1. RHCE Exam Books - Suggestions Please

Can any recommend a good comprehensive RHCE Exam Book? I checked Amazon and
Barnes & Noble and their number one book is RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer
Linux Study Guide by S. Media and D. Anderson. However, I am a little turned
off by some of the reviews:

*This book is terrible, July 24, 2002

     Reviewer: AJ from USA

This book is full of mistakes and very unclear.
Here's an example.. When he introduces the POP protocol, he tells the reader
that it stands for Point of Presence as opposed to Post Office Protocol,
come on now. I was looking for a book to help prepare me for the RHCE, but
now, I don't trust any information that comes from this book, and I would
not recommend it to anyone who is even the slightest bit unfamiliar with
Linux or UNIX.
Since I have worked with Linux systems, I can tell the mistakes, and there
are many. It is a waste to even try to get something out of this book. I
have since purchased another book, so let's see how that one does.

* Waste of money, July 1, 2002

     Reviewer: A reader from Norwood MA

fdisk : it says linux comes with a non destructive partitioning utility
lilo : completely unclear about the different error messages.
mbr : says each disk partition will have an MBR
chapters on installation is useless.
Overall Barkakati book is hundred times useful.
Shame that I didn t know before spending money.

These reviews don't leave me feeling to optimistic about the book. Perhaps
someone can offer a better book, or one that might have helped them get
certified.

Thanks,
earle

2. packet sniffer

3. FS: Book aix, Book x, Book network

4. Serial port troubles...

5. wordperfect8 printing problem (fwd)

6. Root is mounted -- how how you mount root to another drive?

7. New user, book or site suggestions