LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

Post by Randy Sandber » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Okay, I know this question has been asked before... but, I've got about
150 6100/66's with 16 MB RAM and 500 MB hard drives just itching for an
upgrade form mach based MkLinux DR3 to LinuxPPC. Can someone please let
me know what is the current status on this very worthwhile... hint,
hint... project.



Thanks in advance for any info as well as not flaming me for asking a
question that probably has been asked about a zillion times before :-)

P.S. I know that the PowerPC NuBus Macs didn't come with Open Firmware
but I'm thinking, of course I'm just a newbie at Linux, that someone out
there in *Land can do it... What I'm trying to say here is, if the
MkLinux folks found a way, I'm sure someone out there can too.

--

I have a problem with a revolution in that if you have a
revolution, then afterwards you become the establishment.
We should not try to dominate.   --Linus Torvalds

 
 
 

LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

Post by Tom Vi » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00


On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 07:32:04 -0700, Randy Sandberg


> Okay, I know this question has been asked before... but, I've got about
> 150 6100/66's with 16 MB RAM and 500 MB hard drives just itching for an
> upgrade form mach based MkLinux DR3 to LinuxPPC. Can someone please let
> me know what is the current status on this very worthwhile... hint,
> hint... project.

pdm pmac support is in the works for linuxppc. in the mean time,
globegate.utm.edu has the latest mk kernels (see mklinux.org).

Quote:> P.S. I know that the PowerPC NuBus Macs didn't come with Open Firmware
> but I'm thinking, of course I'm just a newbie at Linux, that someone out
> there in *Land can do it... What I'm trying to say here is, if the
> MkLinux folks found a way, I'm sure someone out there can too.

bootx has x100 support now; no motherboard (dram) video support yet,
so you can't see anything unless you have an AV card (or the other
vram expander card).

--
Tom Vier - 0x82B007A8

http://www.veryComputer.com/

 
 
 

LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

Post by Randy Sandber » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> pdm pmac support is in the works for linuxppc. in the mean time,
> globegate.utm.edu has the latest mk kernels (see mklinux.org).

> bootx has x100 support now; no motherboard (dram) video support yet,
> so you can't see anything unless you have an AV card (or the other
> vram expander card).

> --
> Tom Vier - 0x82B007A8

> http://www.erols.com/thomassr/zero/

Hey, thank you very much for the info! As for the video part... hmmm, I
run all my client machines headless (i.e., no monitor nor
keyboard/mouse) so that shouldn't be an issue. All I need is onboard
Ethernet support.

--

I have a problem with a revolution in that if you have a
revolution, then afterwards you become the establishment.
We should not try to dominate.   --Linus Torvalds

 
 
 

LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

Post by Tom Vie » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> > pdm pmac support is in the works for linuxppc. in the mean time,
> > globegate.utm.edu has the latest mk kernels (see mklinux.org).

> > bootx has x100 support now; no motherboard (dram) video support yet,
> > so you can't see anything unless you have an AV card (or the other
> > vram expander card).
> Hey, thank you very much for the info! As for the video part... hmmm, I
> run all my client machines headless (i.e., no monitor nor
> keyboard/mouse) so that shouldn't be an issue. All I need is onboard
> Ethernet support.

i don't think ethernet will be working any time soon. the port has just
started. i'm not sure how far along it is (anyone know what the vger cvs
commit list address is?), but afaik, it doesn't make it to userspace yet.
there are a number of issues that make porting to nubus ppc machines
difficult.

--
Tom Vier - 0x82B007A8

http://www.erols.com/thomassr/zero/

 
 
 

LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

Post by Pasi Korhone » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> upgrade form mach based MkLinux DR3 to LinuxPPC. Can someone please let
> me know what is the current status on this very worthwhile... hint,
> hint... project.

        I think my 8100/80 would appreciate LinuxPPC also. Please
        port it for NuBus Macs. A lot of old machines out there getting
        extended lifespan because of this wonderful operating system.

        Pasi

--

 
 
 

1. linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

I'd like to run linux on a PowerMac 8100.  The faq-o-matic has a list of
compatibility issues which states that the NuBus Macs are only supported
by mklinux, not by linuxppc.  The linuxppc home page has a more recent
update date, and says "almost all PowerMacs are now supported".  It's not
clear to me whether that is still limited to PCI-bus machines or now
includes NuBus platforms as well.  Anyone know whether it does?  I'd
prefer linuxppc if I can run it.  TIA -Lee

--
Lee Green MD MPH          Disclaimer: My postings are my doing, not
Family Practice           a service of nor in any way the
University of Michigan    responsibility of the University of


Delete the Z from my e-mail address, it's just there to foil spambots.

PGP public key on MIT keyserver
Verisign public key available from Verisign, Inc.

2. Cannot convert string

3. LinuxPPC and NuBus Macs...

4. open /dev/ttyS0

5. LinuxPPC and PB1400s (FW: from nubus-LinuxPPC list)

6. Jumpstart X4100 w/ Sol10 01/06

7. nubus Kernel in LinuxPPC 2000

8. Forgot root password

9. LinuxPPC on NuBus PowerMacs?

10. LinuxPPC on NuBus machines?

11. Porting LinuxPPC to NuBus PowerMacs?

12. Linux-PPC on Nubus Power Mac?

13. MKLInux on NuBus Macs