MKLinux and Me

Post by Brit » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Well, most likely I'll get flamed for some of this, but I have a few
questions....

I am new to Linux, never liked CLI's in general, so I figured I'd start
with x windows and see what I could pick up... Well, I would like to be
able to do SOMETHING with Linux, but, I bought mklinux and outa the box it
appears useless.

*  I need help (ie... explicit commands) as to how one:

*  Sets up ones ppp/modem (6500/225, 33.6 geoport internal) so I can
download stuff

*  Changes and configures ones window manager (KDE isn't attractive to me,
I like afterstep)

*  Finds software for word processing/math apps (Like maple or mathematica)

I've looked through the online docs that came with it, and failing 80
gazillion years to wade through and completely digest that stuff, I was
hoping someone could either point me at a manual that would help me with
these concerns (man pages seem to always appear as if you already know
what you are asking! As if you merely forgot how to do something). Or
would just tell me how.

Thanks, sorry about the *ing...

Britt...

MKLinux and Me

Post by Greg Christophe » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've looked through the online docs that came with it, and failing 80
> gazillion years to wade through and completely digest that stuff, I was
> hoping someone could either point me at a manual that would help me with
> these concerns (man pages seem to always appear as if you already know
> what you are asking! As if you merely forgot how to do something). Or
> would just tell me how.

> Thanks, sorry about the *ing...

> Britt...

  Play with the web. A great new place to start is www.linuxstart.com

Books: I just got a great one. Go with one of the more mainstream linux books,
and most will apply to LinuxPPC and MKLinux as well- especially redhat books.
I totally recommend :

   REDHAT LINUX UNLEASHED

Full of good stuff, but there are other ones out there too. There is at least
one good book on MkLinux, but it is lowerlevel info. Between the two, you
should have a good working reference set.

-Greg