G3 CPU Speed

Post by Peter C. Giardina, Ph.D » Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Pmac 8500 that was recently upgraded to G3 with XLR8 ZIF carrier
and 300 Mhz OWC ZIF card. On the mac side, the system profiler reports the

195 Mhz.

The XLR8 system extension activates the card before the Bootx extension
starts. ANd Bootx is set to activate the backside cache. Others are having
this problem. I'm assuming that the reported 195 Mhz value is not correct
and infact the processor is running at 300 Mhz.

ANy thougths would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

G3 CPU Speed

Post by Andrew J. Breh » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a Pmac 8500 that was recently upgraded to G3 with XLR8 ZIF carrier
> and 300 Mhz OWC ZIF card. On the mac side, the system profiler reports the

> 195 Mhz.

My 604e/233 is also reported as 195 Mhz (BeOS says 232 Mhz).

I believe Linux always reports 195 Mhz.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User

G3 CPU Speed

Post by Michael Schmit » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> + I have a Pmac 8500 that was recently upgraded to G3 with XLR8 ZIF carrier
> + and 300 Mhz OWC ZIF card. On the mac side, the system profiler reports the

> + 195 Mhz.

> + The XLR8 system extension activates the card before the Bootx extension
> + starts. ANd Bootx is set to activate the backside cache. Others are having
> + this problem. I'm assuming that the reported 195 Mhz value is not correct
> + and infact the processor is running at 300 Mhz.

> dunno what's going on but I have an XLR8 G3 daughter card on a SuperMac S900

> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> cpu             : 750
> temperature     : 0 C
> clock           : 195MHz

AFAIK the 'clock' number isn't calculated from the delay calibration
(aka BogoMIPS) but rather read from OF which may still have it wrong.

Another argument to calculate the (meaningless) value of the CPU clock
rate from the (equally meaningless) value of BogoMIPS; for a G3 a
BogoMIPS ratinng of x means x/2 MHz clock. Throw patches at Paul please.

        Michael

G3 CPU Speed

Post by James McGooke » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> My 604e/233 is also reported as 195 Mhz (BeOS says 232 Mhz).

> I believe Linux always reports 195 Mhz.

My 7300 w/ Sonnet G3 266 reports its at 270Mhz, same as OS 9.0.4.

James

1. Advice forOptimal Matching of CPU speed to FSB speed

Presently one can assemble an 1500mHz Athlon with a memory that runs
100mHZ (15:1 ratio) vs 800mHz Duron with 200 DDR memory (4:1ratio).
Intuitively, it seems that the latter combination would be faster and
more cost effective.   I have not seen anything about matching component
speeds and wonder if experienced hardware users have any advice?  Would
it be application dependent?  Thanks

2. how to use mkfifo

3. Finding No. of CPU and Speed of CPU on AIX

4. segmentation fault while shutting down

5. How to find RAM Capacity,CPU speed, HDD capacity,CPU type in Unix??

6. Module Performance Profiling?

7. G3 speed check: help wanted

8. Is there a MWAVE project?

9. G3 Speed

10. GBit speed problem - TG3 on HP DL380 G3

11. Speed..Speed..Speed

12. Sun license manager...1%cpu...1%cpu...50%cpu50%cpu50%cpu....

13. CPU Speed.