Help with OF

Post by Yakash » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to install linuxppc on my powermac 6500/225 while keeping MacOS
and BeOS available.

        I've been trying to get to Open Firmware's User Interface mode, but have
failed so far in my attempts to set it up to allow me to choose to boot either
Linux or MacOS.

        I've tryed hooking my mac up to an IBM compatable running Linux, one running
Win95 and an Amiga.  The closest I've gotten using those methods, is the Open
Firmware User Interface screen stating I'm running v2.0.3 and all, but when I
type something, it does not appear on the screen.  The keyboard is not evan
getting through as when I type 'bye' and hit return, nothing happens (I'm
under the impression that should load the MacOS).

        I've also tried using 'boot variables' which I got from
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org to change the input device to 'kbd' and the output to
'screen' to use open firmware without having to connect to another computer.
All that accomplished, upon restart and holding command-option-o-f, was
causing a small dot to appear in the middle of the screen, then dissappearing,
and my monitor's power light going dim (indicating it was not recieving a
signal from the computer).  Again, typing 'bye' did nothing.
        Upon restarting again back to the MacOS and opening up 'boot variables'
again, it did save the changes I made b4 (input and output), which, according
to the documentation, it gets directly from the NVRAM everytime you start
'boot variables'.

        Powermac 6500/225 w/ 96 megs ram, 3 gig HD, 12x CD-ROM
        ViewSonic 17PS, 17" monitor, .25mm

Help with OF

Post by Kevin Hu » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[Snip]

Quote:>         I've also tried using 'boot variables' which I got from
> ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org to change the input device to 'kbd' and the output to
> 'screen' to use open firmware without having to connect to another computer.
> All that accomplished, upon restart and holding command-option-o-f, was
> causing a small dot to appear in the middle of the screen, then dissappearing,
> and my monitor's power light going dim (indicating it was not recieving a
> signal from the computer).  Again, typing 'bye' did nothing.
[Snip]
>         Powermac 6500/225 w/ 96 megs ram, 3 gig HD, 12x CD-ROM
>         ViewSonic 17PS, 17" monitor, .25mm

To access Open Firmware on the 6500:
boot-command    begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again
input-device    kbd
output-device   /bandit/ATY,264GT-B
auto-boot       Off

Power-saver mode (if any) should be disabled on the monitor.
Hope this helps.