LinuxPPC on an iMac DV???

Post by Andrea Riciput » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,
I'm sorry for this question, that perhaps is well known, but I've not
found anything about it.

I'm planning to buy an iMac DV (400MHz) or a Special Edition one, and
I'm wondering if I will able to boot LinuxPPC and use it without any
problem.

Thanks in advance,
Andrea.

LinuxPPC on an iMac DV???

Post by William H. Schult » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi there,
> I'm sorry for this question, that perhaps is well known, but I've not
> found anything about it.

> I'm planning to buy an iMac DV (400MHz) or a Special Edition one, and
> I'm wondering if I will able to boot LinuxPPC and use it without any
> problem.

> Thanks in advance,
> Andrea.

My guess would probably be that the answer is no.  I believe the new iMacs
have the same motherboard as the iBook.  LinuxPPC was first booted on the
iBook probably a little over a week ago.  You will be able to soon, but not
immediately.

Hank

1. LinuxPPC setup on an iMac DV+. Newbie.

I just started installing LinuxPPC 2000 on an iMac DV+ I acquired this
month,
and, well, things look to work pretty well.
I did some mix between booting from files downloaded from the web,
and packages installed from the CD.
And (of course... I am a newbie, then lost ! :-)) I have some questions.
This may perhaps also be a kind of bug report for some things ?

I read the "some yaboot instructions" contribution
(http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200003/msg01193.html)
and it looks good but I am surprised that you have to first boot into
MacOS and then restart in Linux.
Is there not a way to directly be able to boot either in MacOS or Linux
?
Or did I misunderstand something ?

I tried once installed, to use linuxconf to set up some stuff, and
noway.
It reported an error for a missing shared library libgd.so.1
I guess this is my fault, but I would have thought that the installation
process takes care of the dependencies.?
Hopefully, one can work without linuxconf.

Third thing, although this is properly defined as an automatic process
in the Gnome config tool, when I insert a CDROM, I have to mount it
"by hand" (i.e. something like "mount /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom").
How could I correct this ?

I also noticed that a root "personal" directory is located in
/home/root (and it is the first time I see this on a Linux distro).
And that there is still a /root directory.
Isn't this confusing ?

And as for the graphic resolution and number of colors, I think I am
going to install XFree 4.0m but do I then need to get a 2.4 kernel ?
(I mean, a pre-release).

Thank you very much for your help anyway. And mine is in return ! :-)

Romain d'Alverny

2. need xfree86 binary patch

3. LinuxPPC on iMac DV

4. Lock Desktop button simply stops working

5. Booting into LinuxPPC on an iMac DV SE/500

6. libsockdns.so not found?

7. iMac DV and LinuxPPC

8. Problem setting up KDE dtlogin

9. linuxppc on iMac DV SE?

10. Help! LinuxPPC install on New World iMac DV

11. xfree86 4.0/2.4.0-test10 on iMac/DV, starts, but gives only blank screen

12. DVD on Mandrake PPC/iMac DV

13. yellowdog linux on g4 adn imac dv