working ADB 3 button mouse

Post by r.. » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I know there's been a lot of discussion about this issue, so I
> thought I'd let people know: I just picked up an ADB Logitech
> Trackman Marble.

> It's kinda like a trackball, but you move the ball with your
> thumb. Supposed to be very reliable and long lived. (And ergo,
> too, I think.)

> Plug-and-3-button-working-fine-play, out of the box, with a
> reasonably stock LinuxPPC 1999 system.

> Purchased on E-Bay for 15.50+S&H; a damn good buy, methinks.

> john.

> --

> www.treefort.org/~jacobs/ <--   GeneHack (bioinfo*linux*opinion)

I have had my marble for two years now the only thing I ever have to do
is clean the dust off the rollers when the ball starts rolling a little
hard.. Otherwise it works great with linux and the software for MacOS
makes it pretty darn nice there too..

Ron

working ADB 3 button mouse

Post by John S Jacobs Anders » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I know there's been a lot of discussion about this issue, so I
thought I'd let people know: I just picked up an ADB Logitech
Trackman Marble.

It's kinda like a trackball, but you move the ball with your
thumb. Supposed to be very reliable and long lived. (And ergo,
too, I think.)

Plug-and-3-button-working-fine-play, out of the box, with a
reasonably stock LinuxPPC 1999 system.

Purchased on E-Bay for 15.50+S&H; a damn good buy, methinks.

john.

www.treefort.org/~jacobs/ <--   GeneHack (bioinfo*linux*opinion)

1. YDL/CS 1.2: Emulate 3-button mouse w/ 1-button ADB?

Yes, yes, I know. Truly the ways of Linux I will never master until I
get a real mouse. So sue me. :-)

I've got an effectively one-button ADB mouse. This makes Gnome and KDE
rather, well, "challenging." I've read plenty of stuff about how Linux
for PPC is supposed to be able to map keyboard keys to the 2nd and 3rd
buttons -- but I'll be damned if I can figure out what they're talking
about.

I found the note about adding "adb_buttons=1,122,120" to the kernel
arguments. I will admit, I'm not entirely sure where you specify kernel
arguments. Does this mean the "extra kernel arguments" field in BootX?
If so, did that -- it didn't work.

What I'd =like= is if I can do what MacOS does, namely, instead of
mapping them to keys, map them to modifier-click combinations, like
open-apple-click for button 2 and control-click for 3. But nobody seems
to be doing that.

(By the way, among the things that messed me up; every OTHER weird OS or
emulator I've used mapped "alt" to the option key. It took me 20 minutes
to figure out that YDL mapped it to the open-apple key. Weird. And just
plain =wrong=, too, since the option key =says= "alt" on it as well.)

--

J. Brad Hicks
U.S. Shamanics & Mechanical Zen

http://www.us-shamanics.com/brad/

2. csh prompt

3. adb mouse, three buttons not working in emacs

4. Q: Setting up XFree86 to use a font server.

5. 7500 + XLR Carrier + Debian + ADB mouse + XFree86 = no mouse buttons

6. Honest does not pay here...

7. How to use the second mouse button with my adb-mouse ?

8. redhat 6.0 and IRQ5 problem

9. Help: 2nd mouse button (3 button mouse) not working right

10. Can 2-button mouse do 3-button mouse works?

11. Logitech 3-button adb mouse?

12. The infamous MacAlly 2-button ADB mouse

13. G3 Powerbook (Wallstreet), ADB Mouse PPC 2000 Q4, 3 button emulation