Linux on Performa6200?

Post by ah.. » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello.

I've just picked up a Performa 6200 CD, and I absolutely must have Linux
running on it :-).

Checking the www.linuxppc.org pages, and the www.mklinux.apple.com pages, the
FAQ's, and this newsgroup, I'm under the impression that as of now (2/3/98),
I'm out of luck. However, several news articles state that Apple pages are
way out of date, and that the next release of MkLinux will run on 603 based
Performas.

My questions then are:

1) Am I correct in believing that neither MkLinux nor LinuxPPC will run on
my computer right now?

2) If I'm wrong, which one will run? If I'm right, is there any bleeding-edge
development versions I can try out?

I really want to get Linux on this machine, and if it looks like I'll have to
wait a couple of months, then I'll probably sell this box (I've owned it for
two days), and look to get another Linux-compatible box.

Art Haas

Linux on Performa6200?

Post by Jason » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I've just picked up a Performa 6200 CD, and I absolutely must have Linux
>running on it :-).

Too bad.

Quote:>Checking the www.linuxppc.org pages, and the www.mklinux.apple.com pages, the
>FAQ's, and this newsgroup, I'm under the impression that as of now (2/3/98),
>I'm out of luck. However, several news articles state that Apple pages are
>way out of date, and that the next release of MkLinux will run on 603 based
>Performas.

You would appear to be correct.  Mklinux might run on a 603-class CPU
(finally!) but apparently its installer only works on SCSI drives. Now
it _might_ be possible to get it running on a 6200CD, but I'd doubt it.
If you have a SCSI drive handy, you might try installing on that, and see
if the 6200CD actually boots Mklinux, but that seems highly unlikely,
since the 6200 has essentially a 68040 logic board with a PPC chip on
it, and is probably low priority for the developers.

Quote:>My questions then are:
>1) Am I correct in believing that neither MkLinux nor LinuxPPC will run on
>my computer right now?

Possibly.  If Mklinux actually supports 603-class CPUs, it _may_ possibly
work on the 6200, but that is unlikely IMO.  In any event, you can't run
its installer on your machine right now, so you'd need some sort of SCSI
storage device to get going.

Quote:>2) If I'm wrong, which one will run? If I'm right, is there any bleeding-edge
>development versions I can try out?

At present, you can only run Linux-pmac (the preferred version <g>) on
PCI-based Macs, since non-PCI Macs don't have Open Firmware, which currently
is required to boot Linux-pmac.  Obviously a 6200 is not PCI-based.

I don't know where Mklinux is right now, but it has generally been
behind Linux-pmac wrt supporting a wide variety of machines.  From
what I've read, its installer simply doesn't do EIDE drives.

Quote:>I really want to get Linux on this machine, and if it looks like I'll have to
>wait a couple of months, then I'll probably sell this box (I've owned it for
>two days), and look to get another Linux-compatible box.

Get a PCI-based machine.  The 6200 is a total dog anyway - introduced in
the fall of 1995, it is no faster than the spring-of-1994 PowerMac 6100/60.
If you can find an old PowerCenter from Power Computing, you'd be in great
shape. A 7500/7600 from Apple would be good too.  These machines can be
had pretty cheap used, and are G3-ready.  A PowerBase or a 6400 is also
a Linux-pmac-ready machine that can be acquired cheaply, and will give you
much better performance than the 6200.  You should ideally aim for a
machine with a built-in SCSI drive, although the EIDE support in Linux-pmac
isn't too bad, so don't rule out the PBase or the 6400 if the price is
right.

1. Linux in Performa6200 ??

Hi,

has anyone made any experiences running Linux on a Mac Performa 6200?

According to www.mklinux.apple.com and www.linuxppc.org this machine doesn't
seem to be supported :-(

But maybe someone tried?!? or knows wether we can expect running LinuX on
this machine someday? Please let me know.

Yours,
Dirk
--
 Dirk Vetter, University of Siegen              |).\/.

 Homepage: http://www.stud.uni-siegen.de/dirk.vetter/ <--PGP-Key available
 (La)TeX-Gruppe Siegen: http://www.pc.chemie.uni-siegen.de/TeX/

2. MSI TV @anywhere TV Tuner card

3. Hope for my Performa6200 ?

4. mtools command to copy to a disk

5. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

6. Slackware vs RedHAT

7. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

8. question for a guru....

9. Linux in Linux in Linux in

10. proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, add linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs

11. DHCP Linux to Linux problem, Windows to Linux works using same PC!

12. linux ppc vs linux alpha vs linux x86?

13. dns issue -- windows=>linux vs linux=>linux