Remove LinuxPPC loader

Post by Mitchell S. Cohe » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi...  A few months ago I installed LinuxPPC on my G4.  I did what I wanted
to do with it, but needed the space back and erased it.  I installed the OS
X beta last week.  X is running great.  But when I restart from my original
drive I get the LinuxPPC boot screen (a few lines of text then a prompt).  I
can't find a way to boot back into my regular OS 9 without using it as
Classic under X.

Here's my drive situation:

Master 40GB: Split into several partitions.  One was LinuxPPC.  X is on this
drive (a different partition from where Linux was).

Slave 20GB: One partition.  This has my main OS 9.  It operates as the
Classic environment for X, and runs fine that way.  When I try to boot from
this drive I get the LinuxPPC loader.

When LinuxPPC was installed, the drives were reversed (the 20GB was the
master).

It seems there's a little LinuxPPC program on that 20GB drive that won't
die.  How to I kill/disable it so I can boot back to my regular OS 9?

Thanks,

   Mitch

Remove LinuxPPC loader

Post by Mitchell S. Cohe » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks; I'll do that.  I did find a solution though (at least it worked
once, and might be of interest).  In the OS X startup disk pane, there were
actually TWO options for my 20GB HD.  Both labeled exactly the same.  The
first one (thus the first one I'd noticed) tried the Linux boot.  Once I saw
there was a second, I tried it, and it booted me right into OS 9.

> + It seems there's a little LinuxPPC program on that 20GB drive that won't
> + die.  How to I kill/disable it so I can boot back to my regular OS 9?

> go through the LinuxPPC manual, it sounds like OF is doing the booting
> into LinuxPPC.

> You could always reset your PRAM but it's probably something trivial
> that you can fix once you enter into OF and change the boot variables

1. removing redhat linux 7.3 and grub loader

I have a dual boot system (grub) with WinXP and Linux RedHat 7.3. It may not
be a popular post, but I want to remove Linux from my Laptop since its
causing all sorts of problems (but dont despair, its on my desktop!).

Do I simply delete and restore the boot and linnux partitions (using
Partition Magic 7 in WinXP) or is there something more involved?

TIA
Moby.

2. unmapping RAM to get I/O space

3. Removing LILO boot loader