Compiling kernel for 403GCX "Oak" board

Post by bmo.. » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:32:23

First of all, I am new to Linux so be gentle.

Here is what I am up to.  I have been given the task to come up to
speed on Linux, particularly Embedded Linux.
I have an IBM Oak board in my possession for a target piece of
hardware. It has a PPC 403GCX inserted on it.
I am trying to build a kernel to run on it to learn about the entire
process of embedding Linux in a device.

I am trying to build the kernel on a i386 Linux box (an old Compaq
Prolinea tower PC) that is running RedHat Linux 2.2.  My cross compile
development environment is:

binutils 2.12
gcc 2.95.2
Linux 2.4.0

I have configured the tools to produce PowerPC code for the 403
processor.

Here is the problem I am seeing.
During the compile process, the compile stops on the file head_4xx.s.
There is an include for mmu.h. In mmu.h, there is a typedef statement
on line 10:

typedef unsigned long mm_context_t:

On the compile line, I get the following assembler message:
/usr/local/gnu/src/linux/include/asm/mmu.h:10: Error: Unrecognized
opcode: 'typedef'

Has anyone seen this before? If so, what did you do to get past it?

Here is the syntax for the compile statement:

powerpc-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/local/gnu/src/linux/include
-Wall -Wstrict
-protoypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -D__powerpc_
-fsigned
-char -msoft-float -pipe -ffixed-r2 -Wno-uninitialized -mmultiple
-mstring -mcpu=403
-D__ASSEMBLY__ -c head_4xx.S -o head_4xx.o

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

1. IBM PowerPC 403GCX "Oak" Evaluation board question

Hi,

Anyone have any experience with this board?  I have one and want to try
and get Linux going on it.  Searching the net I see a patch that
mentions this board but I don't quite know what to do to get started
using it.  I was hoping to find a web page or something that talked
about how to get everything setup and running but I have not found
anything yet.

Thanks,

Brian

2. concurrent accept()

3. Anyone know where I should start to get kernel running on Oak 403GCX board (make oak_config)?

4. Determining ARCH and OS

6. install on old laptop

8. .htaccess

9. Mitsumi DS & Oak Tech "Mozart" Sound board w/Linux?

10. "--mode compile" instead of "--mode=compile" problem with libtool

11. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

12. Cant compile applications: "make" cant find "cc"

13. "extern inline" to "static inline" allows compile