root login over telnet

Post by Robert Barracloug » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 04:24:06

Hi,

I've just installed Debian GNU/Linux. On the last machine I installed it on
I could log in as root over telnet, but on this machine I cant!

I can log in as any other user, but not as root. How do I solve this
problem?

Thanks,
Richard Barraclough

root login over telnet

Post by step.. » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 04:45:36

> I've just installed Debian GNU/Linux. On the last machine I installed it on
> I could log in as root over telnet, but on this machine I cant!
> I can log in as any other user, but not as root. How do I solve this
> problem?

This is not allowed, because it's not secure. Use ssh for login as root.

root login over telnet

Post by cameron.k.. » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 06:19:21

|> I've just installed Debian GNU/Linux. On the last machine I installed it on
|> I could log in as root over telnet, but on this machine I cant!
|
|> I can log in as any other user, but not as root. How do I solve this
|> problem?
|
| This is not allowed, because it's not secure. Use ssh for login as root.

...but if you are crazy/desperate enough, have a look at /etc/securetty

--

Website (recently moved) http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~cameronk/
--

root login over telnet

Post by Roland Seuh » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:47:10

Robert Barraclough schrieb:

Quote:> Hi,

> I've just installed Debian GNU/Linux. On the last machine I installed it
> on I could log in as root over telnet, but on this machine I cant!

> I can log in as any other user, but not as root. How do I solve this
> problem?

Use ssh, telnet transfers passwords unencrypted, root access is disabled.

Of course you can also log in as a normal user and then use "su" to switch
to root.

--
Roland Seuhs
        http://Handyzubehoer.Wertkarten.net

root login over telnet

Post by Benedikt K?hl » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:21:56

Hi Robert,

Quote:* Robert Barraclough writes:
> I've just installed Debian GNU/Linux. On the last machine I installed it on
> I could log in as root over telnet, but on this machine I cant!

although telnet is quite unsecure and you really should use ssh to
login as root, you could login as some non-root user on your machine
and than 'su -' to root.

  Benedikt

root login over telnet

Post by jose » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 05:59:07

> Of course you can also log in as a normal user and then use "su" to switch
> to root.

where you password can be sniffed as well.

disable telnet inbound. (its still useful as a tool outbound to test
networks, ie telnet to port 25/TCP on a box to manually test the SMTP
server.) use ssh exclusively.

1. can't login as "root" from the lan or telnet

I have a linux system in my house lan connected to my other computer
running windows95 and connected PPP to the internet with a static IP.
From time to time I can't login as "root" from the other computer in the
lan or the same happens if I try to login telneting from a remote
location. After a few hours or sometime a day or two I can login as
"root" again from the lan or telnet. I can login at any time as a
regular user. Only the "root" has the temporary login problem.
Does anyone know what's the problem?
                          Thanks,
                           Rafael.

2. measuring new value of tcp_fin_timeout (RH 9)

3. how login as root in telnet session

4. X and STB Velocity 3D setup problems (Help)

5. Can' t login as root via telnet

6. moving to linux - what video card?

7. How can avoid root login with telnet?

8. system down occasionally

9. Enabling root login via telnet & ftp

10. root login denied over telnet in RH6.0

11. Root login through telnet/rlogin on RH6.1?

12. Can 'root' login through telnet connection?

13. Login as root with telnet session