OF screen Alias for G3 (was Boot device on PM G3/233)

OF screen Alias for G3 (was Boot device on PM G3/233)

Post by David Grup » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> You can boot into OF by using cmd-opt-O-F and look at the device tree.  If
> you installed linux-ppc you should have enough documentation to do this.

> One task that may not be obvious is setting up the screen and kbd devices
> and if you need to set some memory for the display.

When I try to boot into OF I don't get any screen output.  I do seem to have
keyboard input capability however.  Does anyone know the correct alias to get
screen output?

thanx

david

OF screen Alias for G3 (was Boot device on PM G3/233)

Post by Steve Pel » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>When I try to boot into OF I don't get any screen output.  I do seem to have
>keyboard input capability however.  Does anyone know the correct alias to get
>screen output?

"screen" doesn't work? I know it doesn't on some of the earlier machines,
but I thought they had fixed it. OF is supposed to automatically create
a screen alias if one isn't already defined, as part of the probe process,
when it finds an appropriate device.

If you can boot into Linux, you can use the nvram utilities to look at the
device tree, or there's some information in the /proc filesystem under
LinuxPPC (/proc/devicetree, /proc/pci, or somesuch).

Otherwise, get yourself a serial connection to the modem port at 19.2, 8 bits,
no parity. I wish they'd change the default!

One person suggested setting the output device to be blank. I never got it to
work on my PCP/210 (I used the serial port to discover that the screen device
was /bandit/ATY,mach64_3D_pcc, then added a devalias screen command to the
nvramrc; unfortunately, this version of the OF ROMs resets EVERYTHING when
booting MacOS).