2.4.19-pre5 on beige G3

2.4.19-pre5 on beige G3

Post by Bryan Christianso » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 17:01:13



I'm trying to run 2.4.x on a beige G3 using Debian/testing.

The system boots OK but there seems to be something wrong with the
keyboard mapping - characters are just not mapped properly. I am unable
to login from the console, but can ssh in OK, although that seems to
misbehave a little too.

Booting back into 2.2.x, everything is OK.

It looks as though there is a keymap file that I need to update - any
help appreciated.

Regards
Bryan Christianson

 
 
 

2.4.19-pre5 on beige G3

Post by Peter Wood » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 21:21:02


Mine had this problem. The trouble was with /etc/sysctl.conf. It was setting
the kernel variable dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes to 0. Try
adding/changing:

dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 1

in the /etc/sysctl.conf file.

-Pete

"Never trust a man in badly anti-aliased clothing."


Quote:> I'm trying to run 2.4.x on a beige G3 using Debian/testing.

> The system boots OK but there seems to be something wrong with the
> keyboard mapping - characters are just not mapped properly. I am unable
> to login from the console, but can ssh in OK, although that seems to
> misbehave a little too.

> Booting back into 2.2.x, everything is OK.

> It looks as though there is a keymap file that I need to update - any
> help appreciated.

> Regards
> Bryan Christianson


 
 
 

2.4.19-pre5 on beige G3

Post by Bryan Christianso » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 17:30:18




Quote:> Mine had this problem. The trouble was with /etc/sysctl.conf. It was setting
> the kernel variable dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes to 0. Try
> adding/changing:

> dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 1

> in the /etc/sysctl.conf file.

Thanks Pete - Thats that problem solved :-)

Next hurdle is getting X to run. Again it goes OK under 2.2.x but not on
2.4. Its weird, X thinks its running - all the KDE stuff starts up but
the display is dead, although the green sync light on the monitor is lit
up.

Any useful tips on that one.

Beige G3
192MB Ram
Onboard video (Mach 64)

XFree86 4.1.0

Regards
Bryan

 
 
 

2.4.19-pre5 on beige G3

Post by M J Pilvari Pirtol » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:38:25



> > Mine had this problem. The trouble was with /etc/sysctl.conf. It was setting
> > the kernel variable dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes to 0. Try
> > adding/changing:
> > dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 1
> > in the /etc/sysctl.conf file.
> Thanks Pete - Thats that problem solved :-)
> Next hurdle is getting X to run. Again it goes OK under 2.2.x but not on
> 2.4. Its weird, X thinks its running - all the KDE stuff starts up but
> the display is dead, although the green sync light on the monitor is lit
> up.
> Any useful tips on that one.

Try using different resolutions and bit depths as a default mode, or just
try to change the videomode from keyboard(alt+ctrl and + or -) when you
see the blank screen.

Quote:> Regards
> Bryan

nosfe.
'
--
/*this>is+just+brain*++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++cs
++++++++++++++++++++++++.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*/main()/*helsinki.fi
++++.-------------*/{printf("/vlp^pwp^mfx\n");}/*a slow   riot*//*/u/pirtola/*/
/*#bfi sig.c;gcc -o sig sig.c && sig */
 
 
 

2.4.19-pre5 on beige G3

Post by Peter Wood » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 05:10:42


Are you using bootx? Cos if you are then try chaning your computer's
resolution to what you want before loading linux. If that fails then
fiddling with the "no video driver" check box could help. Also the "force
video settings" inside the options window sometimes works too. Try these in
all different combinations.

If you're not using bootx then there may be similar things to do with other
boot loaders. You could also try editing the file /etc/X11/XFree86-4 file?

-Pete




> > Mine had this problem. The trouble was with /etc/sysctl.conf. It was
setting
> > the kernel variable dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes to 0. Try
> > adding/changing:

> > dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 1

> > in the /etc/sysctl.conf file.

> Thanks Pete - Thats that problem solved :-)

> Next hurdle is getting X to run. Again it goes OK under 2.2.x but not on
> 2.4. Its weird, X thinks its running - all the KDE stuff starts up but
> the display is dead, although the green sync light on the monitor is lit
> up.

> Any useful tips on that one.

> Beige G3
> 192MB Ram
> Onboard video (Mach 64)

> XFree86 4.1.0

> Regards
> Bryan

 
 
 

2.4.19-pre5 on beige G3

Post by Bryan Christianso » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:18:53




Quote:> Are you using bootx? Cos if you are then try chaning your computer's
> resolution to what you want before loading linux. If that fails then
> fiddling with the "no video driver" check box could help. Also the "force
> video settings" inside the options window sometimes works too. Try these in
> all different combinations.

> If you're not using bootx then there may be similar things to do with other
> boot loaders. You could also try editing the file /etc/X11/XFree86-4 file?

> -Pete

Thanks Pete - I am using bootx, but thing that puzzles me is that it
works fine under 2.2. and I require no params in bootx to have 1024x768
16bit res with the identical version of X.

That said, I will have play around with BootX params :-)

Thanks

BC

 
 
 

1. Kernel panic 2.4.19-pre6 AND 2.4.19-pre5-ac3 - More info - ksymoops

Code: 8b 40 20 c7 40 24 00 00 00 00 a1 a0 3e 2d c0 59 89 15 c4 cf
Using defaults from ksymoops -t elf32-i386 -a i386

Code;  00000000 Before first symbol
00000000 <_EIP>:
Code;  00000000 Before first symbol
   0:   8b 40 20                  mov    0x20(%eax),%eax
Code;  00000003 Before first symbol
   3:   c7 40 24 00 00 00 00      movl   $0x0,0x24(%eax)
Code;  0000000a Before first symbol
   a:   a1 a0 3e 2d c0            mov    0xc02d3ea0,%eax
Code;  0000000f Before first symbol
   f:   59                        pop    %ecx
Code;  00000010 Before first symbol
  10:   89 15 c4 cf 00 00         mov    %edx,0xcfc4

--
Shawn Starr
Developer Support Engineer
Datawire Communication Networks Inc.
10 Carlson Court, Suite 300
Toronto, ON, M9W 6L2
T: 416-213-2001 ext 179  F: 416-213-2008

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2. Sunos 4.1.4 lp

3. 2.4.19-rc2 -> 2.4.19-rc3 : no more eth (fwd)

4. LED 727 on 320H running AIX 3.2.5 yields 888

5. 3Ware ok 2.4.19, dies 2.4.19-ac4

6. Linux in online banking

7. Promise 20267 hangs with 2.4.19-pre3 and 2.4.19-pre3-ac3

8. Help - I'm getting hacked

9. 2.4.19-pre6aa1 (possible all kernel after 2.4.19-pre2) athlon PCI workaround

10. kbuild25 version 3.0 for 2.4.19-pre9 and 2.4.19-pre9-ac3

11. radix-tree pagecache for 2.4.19-pre5-ac3

12. 2.4.19-pre5-ac3 patch creates x1 file?

13. 2.4.19-pre5 pcilynx.c undeclared variables, take two