having lot's of trouble

Post by Mike » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hey all,

I'm having a tuff time getting X window to run.. I've reinstalled, can't
get into the X installer too, when the Red Hat installer runs, I get a
bunch of errors here's a few:

Errors in the Red Hat installer:

- Package XFree86-libs at line 132 does not exist
- Package XFree86-xfs at line 133 does not exist
- Package XFree86-xfs at line 137 does not exist
- Package XFree86-libs at line 138 does not exist
- Package XFree86-libs at line 171 does not exist
- Package Xautoconf at line 216 does not exist

it goes on for about 20 more errors, the when i login to linux and type
startx at the prompt i get these errors:

Xauth: error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: can not open
shared object file: no such file or directory
Xauth: error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: can not open
shared object file: no such file or directory
Xinit:  error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: can not open
shared object file: no such file or directory

Anyone got any ideas? Anything would help..  thanks

having lot's of trouble

Post by Dietmar Herrend?rfe » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> - Package XFree86-libs at line 132 does not exist
> Anyone got any ideas? Anything would help..  thanks

From your descrition it simply looks as if the packages
listed, haven't been installed yet?! Try to (re)install
them.

Dietmar

having lot's of trouble

Post by ?ke Holmlun » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

snip

Quote:> - Package Xautoconf at line 216 does not exist

This is an error in the /software/RedHat/base/comps file. Xautoconf on
line 216 should read Xautoconfig.
                              ^^

The other problems is probably due to tuncated fileneames (HFS only
allows 31 char filenames). For an explanation and solution, see
http://www.linuxppc.org/userguide/ under R5 Errata.

Good luck!

/?H

1. Installing KDE 2 Beta 4, having lots of trouble..

First I tried downloading the sourcecode, QT 2.2.0 compiled with no
problem, I put the entire directory in /opt/kde2/qt-2.2.0, added it to
ld.so.conf, did ldconfig, etc..

Unsquished kdelibs, ./configure --with-qt-dir=/opt/kde2/qt-2.2.0
--with-qt-libraries=/opt/kde2/qt-2.2.0/lib
--with-qt-includes=/opt/kde2/qt-2.2.0/includes

(might have some typos there, ignore that :)

Make failed for various things, mainly because it kept trying to use
/usr/lib/ qt libraries!

So I gave up after a while, and downloaded the Red Hat RPMs from the
KDE2 binary install page link.  Downloaded everything, installed it all
(including downloading Mesa 3.3.5, a few other dependancies) and it
wouldn't start up.  Running xinit, then startkde from the xterm I
noticed quite a few QT lib "Unknown symbols" and some various other
errors, sometimes it'd mostly start, sometimes it'd just sit there at
the White screen (of death, it seems to be named).

So I decided to give up for the night, started up X..  Prefdm, which is
linked to /usr/bin/kdm, no longer works..  Turns out, NONE of my KDE 1.2
rpms are installed..  *sobs*  I assume that I could force install them
and all would be okay..  but while I'm down this road, I might as well
continue.

So I decided perhaps now that the rpms are installed, including devel
stuff, I can compile the tarballs.  Well, the kdelibs compiled okay, but
I had to copy some /opt/kde2/lib/*.la files to /usr/lib.  And then
kdebase I linked some libraries in /opt/kde2/lib to /usr/lib because it
kept looking for them there.

So far, kdelibs installed and kdebase is still compiling.  But I
currently can't select "Active desktop borders" so I have to click on
the pager or CTRL F1, etc..  And can't seem to find where to edit the
window title buttons, I'm used to the close being on the righthand side.

Anyone have ideas why I've had so much trouble?

--
Walter Francis
http://theblackmoor.net                  Powered by Red Hat Linux 6.x

2. help for configuration

3. we're having a lot of problems with mutual file corrupting on the disk

4. ****SPECIAL REPORT****

5. Newbie having major (probably stupid) problems, and lots of 'em

6. Info on ethernet terminal servers and print spoolers

7. Q: What is "free_one_pmd: bad directory entry"?!

8. I can't believe that I'm having this much trouble with Linux

9. having trouble getting 'sed' to delete comment lines in source files

10. Help, I'm having trouble installing Linux

11. I'm having trouble setting up a SLIP line

12. new kernel having trouble with 2 hdd's