LinuxPPC with MkLinux kernel?

Post by Tim Vanho » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:42:56

I have a PowerBook 5300cs here that MkLinux will run on but not
LinuxPPC. Since the MkLinux distribution is pretty ancient now I was
wondering whether I could install "the rest" from the LinuxPPC disks and
just replace the kernel. Have I overlooked something?

--
Then let us pray that come it may / As come it will for a' that
That man tae man the world o'er / Shall brothers be for a' that.

Post by Andrew B. Arthu » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:39:08

> I have a PowerBook 5300cs here that MkLinux will run on but not
> LinuxPPC. Since the MkLinux distribution is pretty ancient now I was
> wondering whether I could install "the rest" from the LinuxPPC disks and
> just replace the kernel. Have I overlooked something?

Yes, that will work (I know people running the MkLinux Kernel with
Debian/PowerPC and LinuxPPC).

Just be careful. You can probably figure it out yourself (if you are
trying to do this).

LinuxPPC with MkLinux kernel?

Post by Tim Vanho » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:07:24

Quote:> Yes, that will work (I know people running the MkLinux Kernel with
> Debian/PowerPC and LinuxPPC).

> Just be careful.

careful about what in particular? :-)

Anyway, as actually trying this on the PB involves a large amount of
faffing about with repartitioning disks, I tried it on my Umax clone box
which already has a LinuxPPC on it.

On booting MkLinux the first time, I got the message that bootstrap.conf
couldn't be found. OK, hazy recollections, MkLinux looks for the
/mach_servers directory with stuff like that in it.

Second attempt, I boot LinuxPPC, copy the MkLinux-CD/mach_servers
directory to /mach_servers and even remember to edit bootstrap.conf so
it points at /dev/hda11 (my LPPC root partition).

On rebooting MkLinux, /mach_servers/default_pager could not be read
although it belongs to root. Should it belong to another process?
(init?) Or should I be trying to wean the kernel off this /mach_servers
altogether?

--
Then let us pray that come it may / As come it will for a' that
That man tae man the world o'er / Shall brothers be for a' that.
-- Robert Burns

LinuxPPC with MkLinux kernel?

Post by gods_des.. » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:58:34

I believe the kernel that you are using is the one that starts the install
process. you can go through the mklinux site and find the generic#8 kernel.
Perhaps that will help you some.

Aaron

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. mkLinux kernel in LinuxPPC r5 for PM6100?

Hi,
  I'd like to run the LinuxPPC userland on my PowerMac 6100. I know that
the LinuxPPC kernal doesn't support nubus machines, but have heard that
you can install the mkLinux kernel and have everything work.

 Is that true? If so, what is the process?

I can install LinuxPPC onto an external hard drive from my PowerMac 7500,
and then move the kernels into the correct places.

 Any suggestions?

  Thanks,
  Jeff

--
---

http://www.polar-orbit.com

2. LinuxCAD v 1.8 has arrived.

3. Question - LinuxPPC or MkLinux...

4. Printing PostScript to PCL Printer

5. Multi-button mouse for MkLinux/LinuxPPC?

6. Kurta IS/one digitizing tablet - pointers?

7. MkLinux Vs LinuxPPC

8. PPP default route problem

9. installing linuxppc over mklinux

10. Q: MacALLY Optical Mouse w/ MkLinux or LinuxPPC?

11. Newbie Question: MkLinux vs LinuxPPC?

12. MkLinux/LinuxPPC Problems

13. Serial mouse for MkLinux/LinuxPPC