7200/90 Linux ??

Post by Nicolas Farle » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 06:44:50

I have a 7200 90 MHZ machine with a 500MB HD and 32 MB or ram.  There is
currently not an OS on this machine!  Although I did make a 1MB
partition and copied a 8.5 disk tools boot disk to the hard drive so it
would boot up to something.  Is it possible either through SUSE or
Mandrake to make a CD via an ISO and boot it and install linux?  Or is
there anyway to not have a mac os partition at all and boot to linux??
Please help Thanks very much!!!!!

Nicolas Farley

7200/90 Linux ??

Post by alph » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:32:00

> I have a 7200 90 MHZ machine with a 500MB HD and 32 MB or ram.  There is
> currently not an OS on this machine!  Although I did make a 1MB
> partition and copied a 8.5 disk tools boot disk to the hard drive so it
> would boot up to something.  Is it possible either through SUSE or
> Mandrake to make a CD via an ISO and boot it and install linux?  Or is
> there anyway to not have a mac os partition at all and boot to linux??
> Please help Thanks very much!!!!!

> Nicolas Farley

Linux requires a 20MB HFS partition for booting.
500MB is too small.
It will get the OS up, but KDE and gnome can hog resources.

1. SUSE Linux 6.4 on a PPC 7200/90

I'm new to linux, installed it a view week ago. Here my problems

1. Booting with bootx allways results in first starting the suse setup prg,
wich seems to be yast. Is there anyway to go directly to linux? Other way I
have to choose every time I boot the language, the keyboardlayout and then I
can start the installed system with givin the dev of root. (I can't use
yaboot, its an older beige 7200)

2. I don't have parallel port nor usb. I do only have the older mac
serialport (modemport/printerport) what do I have to configure so my printer
on the modemport and my modem on the printerport (is exchanged cause I've
allso a midiinterfaceon the modemport) will run?

3. The printer is an Apple Stylewriter 2400 color. Anyone know how I can run
this?

4.On one PCI slot I've got an Digidesign Audiomedia III SoundCard. Is there
any way to run this under linux?

5.I have a swissgerman-mac-adb-keyboard. The best  posibility I choosed now
is mac_latin_de_nodeathkey wich results in outputing the right letters but
all other signs are exchanged. Any possibility to change this, so I really
get on screen what's printed on my keys?

2. automount for bsd?

3. Can't install on Power Mac 7200/90

4. Drivers for 3COM PCI Ethernet Card (3C590)

5. 7200/90 bootx problems

6. Ethernet loopback Packet LOSS !!!

7. LinuxPPC q3 on a Powermac 7200/90

8. Users can't connect to FTP server

9. Power Mac 7200/90

10. Which Disto to use on PMAC 7200/90?!?

11. Debian 2.2 on 7200/90

12. MkLinux GENERIC 06 on a 7200/90 problem

13. X hangs on PowerMac 7200/90