umax c500 ( APUS 2000)

Post by Wing D Lizar » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:41:20

I would like to put linux on one of these.

I want to do some server developement on this box, it doesn't
to be top shape -- just run a recent gcc, and an console
app or two ( lightweight corba ).

how much memory?  where do I get 5v buffered edo nowadays?

which distribution?

thanks
   b\375

umax c500 ( APUS 2000)

Post by philphi » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:31:45

I can tell you where I got my memory.
I used to get them from Chip Merchants

http://www.chipmerchant.com/

recently I've been getting them from

http://www.macmart.com

There are two kinds (EDO vs. Fast Page), make sure what you have inside
and what you are putting in have the same specs.

I have Suse 7.1 in this machine. Works fine.

phil wong

> I would like to put linux on one of these.

> I want to do some server developement on this box, it doesn't
> to be top shape -- just run a recent gcc, and an console
> app or two ( lightweight corba ).

> how much memory?  where do I get 5v buffered edo nowadays?

> which distribution?

> thanks
>   b\375

umax c500 ( APUS 2000)

Post by Wing D Lizar » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:48:35

> I have Suse 7.1 in this machine. Works fine.

Thanks!

I bought this machine on ebay, it hasn't arrived yet.

Does this have a pc-style vga adaptor on it?

Can I install linux on this machine if it doesn't
have mac os on it?  I don't think it has an os on
it, and I don't want to buy an os that I probably
won't even use.

How about ethernet, which adaptor does it work with?

Much thanks,
b2

umax c500 ( APUS 2000)

Post by Rick » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:55:30

> > I have Suse 7.1 in this machine. Works fine.

> Thanks!

> I bought this machine on ebay, it hasn't arrived yet.

> Does this have a pc-style vga adaptor on it?

The UmaxC500 has a mac style video connector.

Quote:> Can I install linux on this machine if it doesn't
> have mac os on it?

You should be able to get that answered at www.linuxppc.org. They have
some good documentation pages.

Quote:> I don't think it has an os on
> it, and I don't want to buy an os that I probably
> won't even use.

> How about ethernet, which adaptor does it work with?

Pretty much any ethernet adapter that works in MacOS should work. You
should also look at the documentation of video problems on the linuxppc
page, and check some of the other ppc linux pages to see if they have
similar problems.

I ran LinuxPPC R4, R5, 2000 and Q4 on a Umax C500. I have no major
complaints, but they arent upgrading at the moment.
--
Rick

1. linux install on c500 ( apus 2000).

I've picked up a c500 on ebay.  I've managed to get macos on it
( with help).

No I'm trying to get linux on it.

When I boot the the C key down, it either boots macos or it
freezes with a black screen.

I've been able to start mandrake ppc with bootx, but it does not
detect the scsi cdrom.

It does ask for modules to load,  I've tried some but they either
freeze the machine or 'cannot find hardware ( something like this anyway).

Do you know which module to load for the c500.  I've looked through
the many webpages and I was not able to find either:

   1.  the scsi chipset
   2.  or ( ideally) the linux module that works.

Questions:

   1.  which scsi chipset on c500
   2.  which linux device driver ( module) to load?
   3.  is there a better distribution than mandrake 8.0 ppc?
        ( i've also looked at ydl-2.1, but it's no better).
   4.  is there a shortcut or better way to do this ( bootx, etc).

thanks
   b\375

2. SH CGI Script Problem....

3. Umax Apus 2000 and Ethernet Card

4. Configurung ethernet

5. Umax C500 not installing R5, HELP

6. OLVWM... whoops I guess I should have looked more carefully first...

7. LinuxPPC 4.1 on Umax c500

8. Virtual Domain/Sub Domain?

9. UMAX C500 and Ethernet

10. MOL on Umax C500 (603e)