KDE and other window managers

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:06:35

How?

I used to use Gnome, and I seem to be unable to figure out how to make
KDE use a window manager other than kwm.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User

KDE and other window managers

Post by Cyberad/R » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:07:31

Quote:>How?

>I used to use Gnome, and I seem to be unable to figure out how to make
>KDE use a window manager other than kwm.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop.  It should have one line with the
name of your window manager.  If you don't have the file at all, then
Linux defaults to some other preset value (in your case I guess that's
kwm).

For KDE, use KDE.  For GNOME, use GNOME.  Not sure about the others.

KDE and other window managers

Post by wierd » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:38:26

http://www.veryComputer.com/
moron,  read the *ing manuals, they provide you with tons of them.

Quote:> How?

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:49:15

> >How?

> >I used to use Gnome, and I seem to be unable to figure out how to make
> >KDE use a window manager other than kwm.

> Edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop.  It should have one line with the
> name of your window manager.  If you don't have the file at all, then
> Linux defaults to some other preset value (in your case I guess that's
> kwm).

> For KDE, use KDE.  For GNOME, use GNOME.  Not sure about the others.

I don't want to use GNOME. I want to use KDE, only with a different
window manager.

--

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:49:16

> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> moron,  read the *ing manuals, they provide you with tons of them.

The document you refer to does not answer my question. Maybe you haven't
understood it anyway?

I already know how to install KDE, and as you can see from my question
(that is, if you understood it), KDE works fine, only I cannot find out
how to change the window manager to something other than kwm.

Post by Vincent Favre-Nicoli » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 22:00:53

> I don't want to use GNOME. I want to use KDE, only with a different
> window manager.

    AFAIK, you can't. KDE is its own window manager.

    However, if by 'kde' you mean that you want to use kde *applications*,
then you can use gnome, choose you own window manager, and then you can
still use kde applications (they appear in gnome menus or you can add them),
provided that the kde libraries are present.

    Vincent

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 22:39:34

> > I don't want to use GNOME. I want to use KDE, only with a different
> > window manager.

>     AFAIK, you can't. KDE is its own window manager.

KDE is a desktop, kwm is the window manager. The KDE documentation is
very strict about KDE not being a window manager.

Quote:>     However, if by 'kde' you mean that you want to use kde *applications*,
> then you can use gnome, choose you own window manager, and then you can
> still use kde applications (they appear in gnome menus or you can add them),
> provided that the kde libraries are present.

I don't want to use Gnome. I know I can start kpanel and kfm under Gnome
or WindowMaker or whereever.

--

Post by Vincent Favre-Nicoli » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 22:54:00

> > > I don't want to use GNOME. I want to use KDE, only with a different
> > > window manager.

> >     AFAIK, you can't. KDE is its own window manager.

> KDE is a desktop, kwm is the window manager. The KDE documentation is
> very strict about KDE not being a window manager.

    You're right.... See:

    http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/configure.html#AEN1815

    However running gnome using  only K applications and the window manager of
your choice seems easier to me, and should do the same thing. And switching
between window managers is *much* easier with gnome.

--
Vincent Favre-Nicolin                http://www.unige.ch/crystal/favrev/
Laboratoire de Cristallographie      Phone: +41 (22) 702 60 79

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 23:40:31

> > >     AFAIK, you can't. KDE is its own window manager.

> > KDE is a desktop, kwm is the window manager. The KDE documentation is
> > very strict about KDE not being a window manager.

>     You're right.... See:

>     http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/configure.html#AEN1815

>     However running gnome using  only K applications and the window manager of
> your choice seems easier to me, and should do the same thing. And switching
> between window managers is *much* easier with gnome.

Ok.

I am not booted into SuSE right now. Does SuSE support
/etc/sysconfig/desktop for swictching to Gnome?

Also, is Gnome more stable now? It used to often hang the machine when I
was still using it (YDL 1.2).

--

Post by Vincent Favre-Nicoli » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 23:56:06

> >     http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/configure.html#AEN1815

> >     However running gnome using  only K applications and the window manager of
> > your choice seems easier to me, and should do the same thing. And switching
> > between window managers is *much* easier with gnome.

> Ok.

> I am not booted into SuSE right now. Does SuSE support
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop for swictching to Gnome?

    Use yast :configuration -> login manager. If it is set to kdm , then you can
choose your session with a drop menu. That's what I'm using with KDE2 her on my pc,
and I can select any window manager available.

Quote:> Also, is Gnome more stable now? It used to often hang the machine when I
> was still using it (YDL 1.2).

    I don't know. But Gnome is very popular on ppc linux, so I guess it should be a
yes. Your mileage may vary with different window managers, some being more alpha
than beta..

--
Vincent Favre-Nicolin                http://www.unige.ch/crystal/favrev/
Laboratoire de Cristallographie      Phone: +41 (22) 702 60 79
24 quai Ernest-Ansermet
CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland        Fax: +41 (22) 702 61 08

KDE and other window managers

Post by wierd » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 01:45:24

no, i see it plain as day.
maybe you are just incoherant.

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 01:51:35

> no, i see it plain as day.
> maybe you are just incoherant.

Apparently you are the only one who sees that.

In which chapter is it?

4.1. To the would-be converts
4.2. Available package formats
4.3. Prerequisites
4.4. Description of the base packages
4.5. Installation instructions for the different package formats
4.6. Post-installation procedures
4.7. Micro-HOWTO: Compiling KDE 1.1.1 on SGI IRIX? 6.x
4.8. Should I remove old version xyz before installing a new one?
4.9. How do I start KDE?
4.10. Whenever I start KDE, it complains about "shadow passwords". Why?
4.11. Is it possible to install KDE in a user directory?
4.12. startkde fails with can not connect to X server. What is wrong?
4.13. Installing Debian packages with dpkg says giflib2 is missing
4.14. KDE on AIX?
4.15. Installing Red Hat? packages says libncurses.so.3.0 is needed
4.16. KDE on a laptop?
4.17. I do not like the default KDE directory after installation. How do
I move it without breaking anything?
4.18. Where has the snapshot configure script gone?
4.19. How do I unzip tarballs with the bz2 extension?
4.20. What files can I delete from my KDE install directory? Can all the
*.h, *.c and *.o files be safely removed?
4.21. Will I lose my current settings when I upgrade KDE?
4.22. Compiling kdebase gives me a bin/sh: msgfmt: command not found
error!
4.23. How do I uninstall KDE applications compiled from scratch?
4.24. What is up with GIF support?
4.25. How do I install KDE themes?

Post by Allen Cride » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 06:12:15

> > no, i see it plain as day.
> > maybe you are just incoherant.

> Apparently you are the only one who sees that.

> In which chapter is it?

> 4.1. To the would-be converts
> 4.2. Available package formats
> 4.3. Prerequisites
> 4.4. Description of the base packages
> 4.5. Installation instructions for the different package formats
> 4.6. Post-installation procedures
> 4.7. Micro-HOWTO: Compiling KDE 1.1.1 on SGI IRIX? 6.x
> 4.8. Should I remove old version xyz before installing a new one?
> 4.9. How do I start KDE?
> 4.10. Whenever I start KDE, it complains about "shadow passwords". Why?
> 4.11. Is it possible to install KDE in a user directory?
> 4.12. startkde fails with can not connect to X server. What is wrong?
> 4.13. Installing Debian packages with dpkg says giflib2 is missing
> 4.14. KDE on AIX?
> 4.15. Installing Red Hat? packages says libncurses.so.3.0 is needed
> 4.16. KDE on a laptop?
> 4.17. I do not like the default KDE directory after installation. How do
> I move it without breaking anything?
> 4.18. Where has the snapshot configure script gone?
> 4.19. How do I unzip tarballs with the bz2 extension?
> 4.20. What files can I delete from my KDE install directory? Can all the
> *.h, *.c and *.o files be safely removed?
> 4.21. Will I lose my current settings when I upgrade KDE?
> 4.22. Compiling kdebase gives me a bin/sh: msgfmt: command not found
> error!
> 4.23. How do I uninstall KDE applications compiled from scratch?
> 4.24. What is up with GIF support?
> 4.25. How do I install KDE themes?

> > > The document you refer to does not answer my question. Maybe you
> > > haven't understood it anyway?

> > > I already know how to install KDE, and as you can see from my question
> > > (that is, if you understood it), KDE works fine, only I cannot find
> > > out how to change the window manager to something other than kwm.

> > > --
> > > Fan of Woody Allen
> > > PowerPC User
> > > Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

Inside your kde binaries directory is a script called startkde. Edit that
and replace the call to kwm with the window manager of your choice. I'm not
sure how good your results will be, but that's how you can do it.

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 08:38:25

> Inside your kde binaries directory is a script called startkde. Edit that
> and replace the call to kwm with the window manager of your choice. I'm not
> sure how good your results will be, but that's how you can do it.

Thanks. Will do.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

1. how do you open other window managers in a window manager

I like using ICE as my w.m.  but sometimes I like the look of
WindowMaker.  How can I open this up in Ice.

also, can I use KDE as my default and then be able to use Ice or WM as
above?  The only reason I'm asking is that KDE is an environment while
the other two are managers.

also , does anyone know where i can get a tutorial or a good web site
on Ice.  the main site seems to be down or misplaces or something.

2. help! ETHEREXPRESS locks system

3. Running X session within another Window Manager like kde

4. gnome images

5. Sound unavailable when entering KDE windows manager...

6. Sun acquires StarOffice; gives it away for free

7. RH 5.2 ; KDE 1.1 ; how switch windows manager in X ????

8. Restricted Unix account

9. (KDE) kpanel: waiting for window manager

10. KDE and Gnome compliant Windows manager?

11. Question Regarding KDE & Window Manager

12. changing window manager from inside kde

13. KDE with other window managers