newbie: where to get and how to install

Post by courtney v. bears » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

i am looking for a site or any books on how to install linux on a power pc.
i am fairly new to linux, (and macs for that matter).  my friend has got a
powe rpc he doesn;t use, and we want to mess around with linux  on it.  any
suggestions?

--
courtney v bearse, web services

Post by em » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

<!--i am looking for a site or any books on how to install linux on a power pc.
<!--i am fairly new to linux, (and macs for that matter).  my friend has got a
<!--powe rpc he doesn;t use, and we want to mess around with linux  on it.  any
<!--suggestions?

IMHO the only Books re: Linux seem to be About the Linux OS in general,
and Linux
system administration if you really want a Book I would HIGHLY recomend
the awesome
books from O'Reilly...            < http://www.ora.com/>

 here are some LINKS you should  find helpful...

http://www.linuxppc.com/userguide/     <--- Essential
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/                  <--- Must See # 2
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/iwj10/linux-faq/   <--- Linux Faqz

Have fun...

--
/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

The enemy of progress is the fear of the unkown....

newbie: where to get and how to install

Post by Erwin Odendaa » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello Courtney,

download linuxppc (www.linuxppc.com) from:
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/linux/linuxppc/linuxppc-R4/
or a mirror.
Follow the manual they also provide. And use BootX (when you are installing on
a power mac) to install linuxppc. (Don't try the OF-shit as the manual
suggests).
After the installation you restart and when the BootX menu appears you simply
type into extra field below: /boot/vmlinux root=/dev/hda5 (hda5 is the
harddrive and partition from with to boot Linux, so this can also be something
like "sda5") You will know after have read the manuals.
Good luck!

Erwin Odendaal.

or another partition and from that moment Linux will mount of partition number
5 on your mac drive