Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

Post by Igor Mikolic-Torreir » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00



Hi,

I've got LinuxPPC 2000 (kernel vmlinux.2.2.15pre3) running on my Blue&White G3
(New World).  After a bit of configuring, things work pretty well.  However, I
haven't been able to "locate" my USB zip drive or USB floppy (not a
super-floppy).  

I've checked the FAQs and newsgroups, and although atl east the
USB Zip supposedly works with LPPC-2000, I can't figure out what device it
shows up on.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to mount a Zip disk using a USB zip drive
(or a regular floppy disk, using a USB floppy drive).

TIA,

Igor

 
 
 

Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

Post by Jens Tinglef » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Igor,

Quote:

>Hi,

>I've got LinuxPPC 2000 (kernel vmlinux.2.2.15pre3) running on my Blue&White G3
>(New World).  After a bit of configuring, things work pretty well.  However, I
>haven't been able to "locate" my USB zip drive or USB floppy (not a
>super-floppy).  

What a coincidence! I just got a USB Zip 250 and it worked a whole lot better on
MacOS than on LinuxPPC. However, I got the latest linux-pmac-stable , which is
2.2.18pre21, and now it's much better. I left it overnight with a HFS formatted
disk, compiling XFree86 on it (i.e. establish a shadow link directory onto the
ZIP, execute make, have some 130-odd MB of data in 20000+ files generated in
five hours). In other words, it seems to work for me, and it seems to be quite
robust.

So far, I can use it in the same way I use a floppy, i.e. I have to mount
explicitely (on the formatted ZIP drives the data lives at partition 4) with an
explicit file-system type. I can generate a filesystem (well, I tried ext2). I
haven't tried anything more creative, but it seems that mtools knows something
about ZIP.

The kernel is linux-pmac-stable from penguinppc.org, I fetched it on Nov 27th
(very much in the AM, US time).

        Kernel on       http://www.penguinppc.org/dev/#trees
        (look for -stable)

enable USB and USB mass storage (!). I don't think that verbose USB error
messages are a good choice (tried it; got A LOT of messages ;-) ).

While all this is only for a USB ZIP, I don't see why it shouldn't work for a
USB floppy.

Here's what I get on boot, indicating that the USB ZIP drive is on (fake) SCSI
bus 2, device /dev/sdd4 and that there's no disk in the drive ;-)

------------------
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 3
scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
scsi : 3 hosts.
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 250           Rev: 32.G
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi removable disk sdd at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sdd : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdd : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
sdd : extended sense code = 2
sdd : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.  
 sdd:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:30, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
---------------------

here's the message I get (in /var/log/messages) on insertion of disk:

--------------------
Nov 28 08:09:05 localhost kernel: SCSI device sdd: hdwr sector= 512 bytes.
Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
Nov 28 08:09:05 localhost kernel: sdd: Write Protect is off
Nov 28 08:09:05 localhost kernel:  sdd: sdd4
----------------------

My USB config options are (those that are not switched off):

----------------------
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
-----------------------

HTH, HAND

    Jens

 
 
 

Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

Post by Jens Tinglef » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Igor,

[....]

Quote:>The kernel is linux-pmac-stable from penguinppc.org, I fetched it on Nov 27th
>(very much in the AM, US time).

>    Kernel on       http://www.penguinppc.org/dev/#trees
>    (look for -stable)

I forgot to add that if you don't feel like building the kernel yourself (can't
say I blame you ;-) ), it might be worth your while to look in on the site:
http://linuxppc.org/blueg3/ . Right now, the site appears to have only a 2.2.17
variation, which I don't use, but who knows what the future brings ;-)

Cheers

    Jens

 
 
 

Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

Post by Igor Mikolic-Torreir » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00



>Igor,

>[....]
>>The kernel is linux-pmac-stable from penguinppc.org, I fetched it on Nov 27th
>>(very much in the AM, US time).

>>        Kernel on       http://www.penguinppc.org/dev/#trees
>>        (look for -stable)

>I forgot to add that if you don't feel like building the kernel yourself (can't
>say I blame you ;-) ), it might be worth your while to look in on the site:
>http://linuxppc.org/blueg3/ . Right now, the site appears to have only a 2.2.17
>variation, which I don't use, but who knows what the future brings ;-)

>Cheers

>    Jens

Got the sources and built my own kernel as you suggested.  Works!!

Thanks!

Igor

 
 
 

Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

Post by Mark Trac » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00




> Hi,

> I've got LinuxPPC 2000 (kernel vmlinux.2.2.15pre3) running on my
> Blue&White G3
> (New World).  After a bit of configuring, things work pretty well.
> However, I
> haven't been able to "locate" my USB zip drive or USB floppy (not a
> super-floppy).  

> I've checked the FAQs and newsgroups, and although atl east the USB Zip
> supposedly works with LPPC-2000, I can't figure out what device it shows
> up on.

> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to mount a Zip disk using a USB zip
> drive
> (or a regular floppy disk, using a USB floppy drive).

> TIA,



The USB mass storage driver pretends it is a SCSI device. Since most G3
boxes use ATA hard disks, the first available SCSI device will be at
/dev/sda

I didn't know that kernel 2.2.anything had working USB mass storage! The
last time I tried that combination the crash was horrific. I've been
using 2.4.0-test10 mostly so I could get useful USB.

Mark Tracy

 
 
 

Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

Post by Michael Schmit » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00



> I didn't know that kernel 2.2.anything had working USB mass storage! The
> last time I tried that combination the crash was horrific. I've been
> using 2.4.0-test10 mostly so I could get useful USB.

2.2.18pre18 (linux-pmac-stable at that time) has stable USB storage
support. I laughed my a** off when I cold demonstrate a USB zip to work
fine with my PowerBook while it would consistently panic the kernel on a
Dell laptop (2.2.18pre24).

It's not exactly fast, though ...

        Michael

 
 
 

Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

Post by Chris Boo » Mon, 04 Dec 2000 09:26:18




Quote:> I didn't know that kernel 2.2.anything had working USB mass storage! The
> last time I tried that combination the crash was horrific. I've been
> using 2.4.0-test10 mostly so I could get useful USB.

People have backported the USB drivers from 2.4 kernels to the 2.2 kernels,
so we get stable kernels with petty good USB.  Checkout
http://www.linux-usb.org/ for more info.

-- Chris