error G3 R5 installation "Find installation files"

error G3 R5 installation "Find installation files"

Post by david colber » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I seem to be having some trouble installing R5 on a G3/400MHz w/dual
internal 9GB drives.
I am using the Rev.1 vmlinux from http://www.inficad.com/~rshaw,  as
well as the rest
of the Blue&White G3 files from there.

When I choose the kernel, it goes past welcome screen, then past
penguin  scrolling screen
as is expected. However, it starts RedHat installer, not BootX as it
should. When I try to use the
System partition for the location of the software folder and RedHat
subfolder, I just get a blinking
white block prompt (indefinitely) at the bottom of the blue installer
screen.

In order to get anywhere in the RedHat installer, I have to locate the
software and RedHat folders
on aseparate partition from the one that holds the System Folder. If I
locate the folders on
a separate partition, I get past this window in the installer all the
way until the installer starts
looking for the packages to install.

After the installer searches for the installation files,  a"Comps file
is not version 0.1" error
pops up. After this, I cannot proceed into the installation. I looked at
the Comps file in
software:RedHat:base:Comps, and its first line is "0.1", which I assume
is a version number.

Has anyone out there seen this before? Am I doing something terribly
wrong?I have installed
MkLinux before, but this is my first time installing LinuxPPC. Any help
would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
david

1. Unix/linux "installation user" vs MS Windows "installation user".

Hello everybody:

I'm a newbee of linux. Yesterday, I used MS Windows (it's a metaphoric
expression! ;-)). In fact, I use Windows ocassionally.

A fact that I shocked is the facility that any user have in Windows
for install programs rather than Linux, in which the installation
tasks is for root user, or user's with more privileges.

Actually, there is only the facility. At last, this is only a question
of persmissions of user (for example in Win NT "only" a Administrator
can install a program): the _main_ difference about installation in
Windows and in linux is the GUI comfortable aspect.

In windows the majorty of installations offer a GUI "friend" aspect,
such that the young boy (an even a monkey!: we can only say allways
"yes: we accept...") can install any program (well, "any" not, but the
majorty of these). On the other hand, in linux, we can install,
typically, the programs with targz protocol or. if "we have lucky",
with rpm protocol. So there is not any graphical simple way of install
a program.

Essentially, the installation of programs in linux imply that the user
has to have a knowledge of her system, theorycally and practically,
and in Windows, the user can know nothing about what he/she are doing.

I think that one of the purposes that linux user wish is that the
windows user pass to linux. But I think that they will not pass if we
do not make a applet that allows graphical and easy installations:
more windows user never will emigrate to linux if they have to do "too
much" for install a program or if, previously, they have to "study a
lot of manuals of linux and related".

I know what you will say: that the actual installation (specially with
targz protocol) allows to installation user to change any parameter
during this. But for example this is less true with rpm protocol: rpm
installation process is, almost, automatically. Mainly: more simplex
installation is less configurated installation; I'm in agreement with
it. But why simplex installation are, "allways", non-graphical in
linux?

Why there is not a graphical applet that executes in background rpm
and that allows to install rpm packages automatically and
graphically?. This actually exists: the rpm executed in X, but I think
that this is already too complex for newbees.

And why not do a GUI interface that executes targz without the
knowledge of the user, that offers a "expert mode" in which we can set
all the parameters that we could, and a "simple mode" for the typical
windows user?

All of these is an ingenuous question. What do you think about it?

Best regards,
Xan

PS: Already a newbee user... .

2. How to accessing EtherExpress PRO/10 Flash memory?

3. "Fatal Server Error: No Screen Found" during Installation

4. Filesystem compatibility question...

5. Dos emulator, where can I get it?

6. LinuxPPC 2000 installation on PowerBook G3 "Firewire"

7. Thanks Re: Printer Problem

9. Where is the "autorun" resp. "setup.exe" on a Solaris installation DVD ?

10. RedHat6.2 Installation Error: "Error creating swap on device hda9"

11. Install error on G3: "error unpacking archive: unknown error"