Crashing Suse Problems

Post by Toby Thai » Sun, 18 Mar 2001 18:26:34

Helen,

Great sympathy with your frustration.

My only suggestion is to change kernels to something more stable. The
most thorough way to do this is to reconfigure and rebuild and I don't
recommend that process unless you have time to learn how, or your b.f.
knows exactly what he's doing.

I found prebuilt files for a kernel version 2.2.18pre21 (which is
perfectly reliable on my G3) at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/+index=9+old_...

Also claimed to be "rock solid for all users":
http://www.veryComputer.com/

I am not familiar with SuSE so can't help with the changeover, sorry.

Toby

> Hi I've been using Suse on my imac for 4 weeks now and I am still at the
> early stages of learning, but recently its started crashing on me and
> this is driving me insane (I've got a Formal Report to finish and I'm
> getting very stressed!)

> I'm using*to write this report and every so often the mouse will
> freeze, or the whole computer hang when viewing .dvi files.  I've tried
> using xdvi, kdvi, gv, all crash the same.  After a crash I can't escape
> using ctrl-alt-backspace, or any other combination  (my boyfriend runs
> PC Mandrake Linux and has messed with it and can't find out what's going
> on either).  It also freezes randomly on Netscape sometimes....

> Has anyone any suggestions?  Should I just try and finsh the report
> (fingers crossed!) and then reinstall Suse?  I don't know where to start
> looking for the problem!  I didn't think Linux was meant to crash!

> Thanks in advance for any advice

> Helen

Crashing Suse Problems