YDL 2.1 Video Problems: 9500/132

Post by Christopher M. Hardag » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:59:06

All,

I'm hoping for a little insight here. I've been struggling with this in
my off time for quite a while.

I've got a PowerMac 9500/132 with YDL 2.1 on it. The video card seems to
be recognized properly (ATI Mach64), and I've used dexter to identify
the monitor (Apple Multiple Scan 17). When I set the resolution above
640x480, the KDE desktop extends beyond the boundaries of the screen.
I'd really like to be able to run X at 1024x768, at least.

I've searched the YDL support lists, and the comp.os.linux groups, but
cannot seem to find anything that resolves the problem.

Any insight is appreciated. If more information is required, please
advise and I'll provide.

Chris

YDL 2.1 Video Problems: 9500/132

Post by Stig S?rense » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:42:58

Hi
Well, I'm not sure I can help you with "1024x768" but I can do something
better; try "1152x864" instead. These old Mach64 cards work better with
"proper" Mac resolutions, the ones supported in MacOS on these cards. Don't
think "1024x768" is one of them.

Regards
/Stig

Quote:> All,

> I'm hoping for a little insight here. I've been struggling with this in
> my off time for quite a while.

> I've got a PowerMac 9500/132 with YDL 2.1 on it. The video card seems to
> be recognized properly (ATI Mach64), and I've used dexter to identify
> the monitor (Apple Multiple Scan 17). When I set the resolution above
> 640x480, the KDE desktop extends beyond the boundaries of the screen.
> I'd really like to be able to run X at 1024x768, at least.

> I've searched the YDL support lists, and the comp.os.linux groups, but
> cannot seem to find anything that resolves the problem.

> Any insight is appreciated. If more information is required, please
> advise and I'll provide.

> Chris

YDL 2.1 Video Problems: 9500/132

Post by Leon Barret » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 02:26:11

I've been having the same problem with YDL 2.1 on a beige All-in-One G3 with
an ATI Mach64.  Unfortunately, I don't know what monitor to select, so maybe
that's the problem.  But I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Leon

Quote:> All,

> I'm hoping for a little insight here. I've been struggling with this in
> my off time for quite a while.

> I've got a PowerMac 9500/132 with YDL 2.1 on it. The video card seems to
> be recognized properly (ATI Mach64), and I've used dexter to identify
> the monitor (Apple Multiple Scan 17). When I set the resolution above
> 640x480, the KDE desktop extends beyond the boundaries of the screen.
> I'd really like to be able to run X at 1024x768, at least.

> I've searched the YDL support lists, and the comp.os.linux groups, but
> cannot seem to find anything that resolves the problem.

> Any insight is appreciated. If more information is required, please
> advise and I'll provide.

> Chris

YDL 2.1 Video Problems: 9500/132

Post by Christopher M. Hardag » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:33:54

After searching newsgroups, mailing lists, and sites, I found the
following article:

The key to getting my machine to work was ensuring that "No video
driver" was unchecked in BootX and the kernel arguments were set to:

video=atyfb:vmode:17

Everything works great now, and I'm a happy camper. Leon, I hope it
works for you too!

Chris

> I've been having the same problem with YDL 2.1 on a beige All-in-One G3 with
> an ATI Mach64.  Unfortunately, I don't know what monitor to select, so maybe
> that's the problem.  But I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

> Leon

>>All,

>>I'm hoping for a little insight here. I've been struggling with this in
>>my off time for quite a while.

>>I've got a PowerMac 9500/132 with YDL 2.1 on it. The video card seems to
>>be recognized properly (ATI Mach64), and I've used dexter to identify
>>the monitor (Apple Multiple Scan 17). When I set the resolution above
>>640x480, the KDE desktop extends beyond the boundaries of the screen.
>>I'd really like to be able to run X at 1024x768, at least.

>>I've searched the YDL support lists, and the comp.os.linux groups, but
>>cannot seem to find anything that resolves the problem.

>>Any insight is appreciated. If more information is required, please
>>advise and I'll provide.

>>Chris

YDL 2.1 Video Problems: 9500/132

Post by Leon Barret » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:13:55

Much appreciated.  It worked!

Leon

> After searching newsgroups, mailing lists, and sites, I found the
> following article:

> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4067

> The key to getting my machine to work was ensuring that "No video
> driver" was unchecked in BootX and the kernel arguments were set to:

> video=atyfb:vmode:17

> Everything works great now, and I'm a happy camper. Leon, I hope it
> works for you too!

> Chris

> > I've been having the same problem with YDL 2.1 on a beige All-in-One G3
with
> > an ATI Mach64.  Unfortunately, I don't know what monitor to select, so
maybe
> > that's the problem.  But I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

> > Leon

> >>All,

> >>I'm hoping for a little insight here. I've been struggling with this in
> >>my off time for quite a while.

> >>I've got a PowerMac 9500/132 with YDL 2.1 on it. The video card seems to
> >>be recognized properly (ATI Mach64), and I've used dexter to identify
> >>the monitor (Apple Multiple Scan 17). When I set the resolution above
> >>640x480, the KDE desktop extends beyond the boundaries of the screen.
> >>I'd really like to be able to run X at 1024x768, at least.

> >>I've searched the YDL support lists, and the comp.os.linux groups, but
> >>cannot seem to find anything that resolves the problem.

> >>Any insight is appreciated. If more information is required, please
> >>advise and I'll provide.

> >>Chris

1. ATI XclaimVR and video on YDL 2.1 problem

I have an ATI XclaimVR128 and YDL 2.1 ... installed from scratch from the
CD....

Why is any video (MPEG or DVD) in Linux using Xv (XF86 4.1) displayed only
one quarter of its size in the Xv overlay window?

How do I fix this problem? Am I the only person with Linux experiencing this
problem?

-- Jason

2. Support for Adaptec 1530/1532?

3. YDL 2.0 on PMac 9500

4. Help with PLIP problem please

5. YDL 2.0 on PowerMac 9500 question

6. HELP ON SOLARIS 2.6 !!!!!!

7. Can I replace ydl 2.1 with ydl 2.3

8. XFree86 4.2/KDE 3 Mouse Scroll

9. Interesting video isues on YDL 2.1

10. 7248-132 (43P-132) <-- Is it worth a processor upgrade ??

11. video card for 9500 and ( MkLinux or LinuxPPC )

12. video settings for linuxppc on powermac 9500

13. How to set video to 132 x 25 mode