Partitioning for Linux

Post by Michael S » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 14:41:40

    What utilities are recommended for partitioning a HDD under OS 8.6?

    Secondly, is it necessary to format the drive first? Obviously this
would be undesirable.

    If formatting were necessary, are these 'steps' correct;
1. Copy all files from HDD onto CD. (What about hidden files?)
2. Reboot with Mac OS CD.
3. Run Mac fdisk from the HDD; format and partition.
4. Eject Mac OS CD
5. Copy original System Folder and all other files back onto Mac OS
Partition. (From backup CD's).

    Thanks, Michael.

Partitioning for Linux

Post by ArchonOS » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 13:24:02

>     What utilities are recommended for partitioning a HDD under OS 8.6?

>     Secondly, is it necessary to format the drive first? Obviously this
> would be undesirable.

>     If formatting were necessary, are these 'steps' correct;
> 1. Copy all files from HDD onto CD. (What about hidden files?)
> 2. Reboot with Mac OS CD.
> 3. Run Mac fdisk from the HDD; format and partition.
> 4. Eject Mac OS CD
> 5. Copy original System Folder and all other files back onto Mac OS
> Partition. (From backup CD's).

>     Thanks, Michael.

I would wait to copy back to the Mac partition until after you install
Linux.
As long as you back up your data and you can start from the CD you are
OK.
Then you can mess around to your heart's content and not break anything.

--
I didn't say you did it. I said I was going to blame you.
Archon<OSX>