Getting X11 to start ???

Post by Mark Dak » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,

Second problem I am trying to get linux to launch X.  I have had no
success.  I have tried using DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.

I have to do this as I have no eithernet card at all.

I would like to get X up and say twm and an xterm.

at root I have tried the following in csh.

X&;sleep 10;twm&;sleep 20;xterm&

This should work.  It works on my sparc at work but not here.  Again
I have my DISPLAY set to localhost:0.0

Note sometimes it complains about the /usr/X11R6.3/lib/X11/Security...
files not being able to read.

Mark Daku

Getting X11 to start ???

Post by Jason » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Second problem I am trying to get linux to launch X.  I have had no
>success.  I have tried using DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.
>I have to do this as I have no eithernet card at all.
>I would like to get X up and say twm and an xterm.
>at root I have tried the following in csh.
>X&;sleep 10;twm&;sleep 20;xterm&

'startx' works better.

Quote:>This should work.  It works on my sparc at work but not here.  Again
>I have my DISPLAY set to localhost:0.0

Xpmac doesn't like being started in the background from the shell,
maybe because it sends some output to the console upon startup.

If you sneak a '%1' in after that line (assuming X is job #1), it might
actually start, but you're better off with startx.

Quote:>Note sometimes it complains about the /usr/X11R6.3/lib/X11/Security...
>files not being able to read.

Don't know about this one - I don't even have such files on my machine.

Getting X11 to start ???

Post by Mark Dak » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >Second problem I am trying to get linux to launch X.  I have had no
> >success.  I have tried using DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.

> >I have to do this as I have no eithernet card at all.

> >I would like to get X up and say twm and an xterm.

> >at root I have tried the following in csh.

> >X&;sleep 10;twm&;sleep 20;xterm&

> 'startx' works better.

> >This should work.  It works on my sparc at work but not here.  Again
> >I have my DISPLAY set to localhost:0.0

> Xpmac doesn't like being started in the background from the shell,
> maybe because it sends some output to the console upon startup.

> If you sneak a '%1' in after that line (assuming X is job #1), it
> might
> actually start, but you're better off with startx.

Thanks I found a small reference to the startx in some old
printouts.That did the trick.  Now off to the FAQ for details on monitor
resolution
settings.

Mark Daku

Getting X11 to start ???

Post by Donn Ca » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

| Xpmac doesn't like being started in the background from the shell,
| maybe because it sends some output to the console upon startup.

I ran MkLinux yesterday for the first time, on a plain 7500, and
had a lot of trouble with Xpmac.6.3.  The symptoms were 1) server
suddenly gets very busy, mouse cursor won't move, 2) when mouse
cursor is over xterm window, alphabetic character gibberish spews out,
3) xterm input sticks on autorepeat, for example autorepeating the
last carriage return, as if that last key up didn't get to the server.

I thought it got worse when I started it from xdm, but ultimately it
didn't make much difference whether started from xdm or startx, or
which window manager etc.

If I telnet in and run xset q, that appears to clear the immediate
problem so I can get control of the mouse, but eventually the problem
comes back.  Anyone seen this, have any ideas?

Getting X11 to start ???

Post by Donn Ca » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Sorry, previous post was based on the 2.1 CD.  I've got update 6 now,
and it's both better and worse.  With startx, so far my 7500 has locked
up only once;  with xdm, it gets into trouble immediately, right at the
Login window.  Either way, I have to reset the computer and reboot, looks
like everything is locked up, including telnetd etc.